Emphasis in glossaries

Home Forums Foreign Language Emphasis in glossaries

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In the attached glossary entry the entry word is used in a sentence. The sentence is shown in italics with the guide word in bold. Would you retain the italics and bold?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Please see Section 12.2b of the NBA Interim Manual for Foreign Language Braille Transcribing. It states that special typeface for entry and subentry words is ignored. Special typeface is retain only WITHIN an entry to indicate emphasis or discintction.

Please let me know if further information is needed.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you, Joanna.

I read Section 12.2b several times, but I guess I thought the italics were to distinguish the example sentence from the definition and the bold was emphasizing the word used in the example. As someone pointed out, sometimes we over think.

I will omit the italics and bold.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Not so fast! You know, it might be a good idea to scan the entire print page and send that, so I could get some context here. As I look at adversario in the last line, could that be the entry word used in that sentence? If so, I would keep that emphasis. That's the sort of thing the rule refers to. You can just use 46 italics for that emphasis. There, the word WITHIN the sentence is emphasized and this is shown in braille.

Does that help?

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Yes, the entry word is adversario. The italicized portion shows the entry word used in a sentence.

Thank you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.