Enclosed list in a superscript

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Enclosed list in a superscript

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Katrina Ostby
    Participant

Hey Nemeth Code Superstars,

I've got a question for you. Is there a rule anywhere for dealing with enclosed lists in superscripts?

Here is a relatively simple equation. It is included in the attached file. In words it is:

psi equals tilde over psi e superscript i theta (x, t) baseline + c.c.

.Y .K ".Y<@:]E^I.?(X, T)"+C".C.,

I'm assuming that I follow the rule for keeping enclosed lists together on one line when possible.

But do I need to repeat the superscript indicator after each blank cell in an enclose list in a superscript?

Also, any ideas for dealing with c.c. when I have no idea if it is an abbreviation or if the dots are decimal points?

Thanks for thinking about it.

Katrina

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Katrina,

Thank you for the question.

First, your comma between two items at the superscript level (within an enclosed list or not) merits use of the contracted comma. See Nemeth Code §78.

So, for your print (Thank you for attaching an image of that lovely equation!), we should have braille that looks like this:

⠨⠽⠀⠨⠅⠀⠐⠨⠽⠣⠈⠱⠻⠑⠘⠊⠨⠹⠷⠭⠪⠞⠾⠐⠬⠀⠉⠲⠉⠲

That "c.c." is spaced away from the symbol of operation that precedes it because I have good reason to believe it is an abbreviation (for cubic centimeter). I googled psi c.c. and came up with a collection of results for unit conversions using these items. More digging got me to a discussion of ψ as a unit of pressure and c.c. (or cc) as a unit of volume.

[If we couldn't find an explanation of c.c. as an abbreviation, then it would probably still be safest to treat the print dots that are between and after the letters as periods and not as decimal points.]

Again, thank you for the question. Please let us know if you have follow-up questions or concerns.

Keep on rockin' that Nemeth Code!
    –Kyle

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.