English/Spanish Glossary

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook English/Spanish Glossary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ricia2001
    Participant

Hello. I am transcribing a 5th grade math book glossary. The glossary has two columns on each page; the English is on the left and the Spanish is on the right. In 2011 BF, 22.6.4, English and Foreign Language Glossaries, it states:
    [color=#ff3333]e. English and foreign language glossary words may appear as separate entries on the same page. The English entry is 1-5, and the foreign language entry is 3-5.[/color]
    However, in 22.6.5, Glossaries with Samples, it states:
    [color=#ff3366]b. Diagrams in math and science textbooks are retained.
    c. The entry word or entry heading is treated as a cell-5 heading. This format is used for the entire section, even if some entries do not have samples.[/color]
    My question:
    For an English/Spanish Glossary it states that the English should be in 1/5 and the Spanish follow in 3/5. However, when there are diagrams included, it states that each entry word should be a Cell 5 Heading. Should the Spanish entry word also be brailled as a Cell 5 Heading? If so, what margins should be used for the body of each entry, i.e. English and Spanish.
    Additionally I have attached a sample page from my book and would like to know how to do the English/Spanish labels on the diagrams. My thought is to label one diagram with both English and Spanish, having the Spanish label directly below and two cells to the right of the English label.
    Thank you for any help and guidance you can give.
    -Patty

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Sorry, posted before I attached sample page.

ricia2001
    Participant

Your first citation, 22.6.4 is designed for a glossary WITHOUT samples, so that won't work here and it therefore it doesn't apply. That leaves your second citation 22.6.5, treating each entry as a cell-5 heading. There are no specific guidelines for the cell-5 entry word situation when a translated glossary is involved, so I will offer suggestions based on guidelines that do offer some coverage and general best practices in foreign language braille.

Each English entry word is cell-5 with the complete English entry given, including the diagram, if any. Follow each English entry with the corresponding Spanish entry. Treat each Spanish entry word as a cell 7 heading. I assume all the diagrams will be tactile graphics. Repeat any translated diagrams, such as the diagram for the entry area. Do not combine translated labels because that will create a cluttered graphic and the language shift will not be clear to the reader. Also, that does not accurately convey with print layout. So repeat the Spanish diagram with Spanish labels. In the case of diagrams for axis and base, that appear to be identical in English and Spanish, do not repeat the diagram in the Spanish entry, but add a TN referring to the English entry for access to the diagram, something like TN See English entry for axis to access the diagram.

Transcriber's notes are always and ONLY in contracted English. Guide words are English.

--Joanna

ricia2001
    Participant

Thank you for your clarification and suggestions.
    Patty

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.