Enlarged enclosure

Home Forums Foreign Language Enlarged enclosure

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

I'm transcribing a French textbook.

I have a list of 5 words followed by an enlarged right brace followed by an enlarged left brace enclosing a group of 4 sentences.

According to the Rule 6, sect. 2c, I should insert a braille double dash to represent the listed items. B
    But I was wondering if I could put the list of 5 words in parentheses followed by the double dash and the vertical list of 4 sentences.

Thank you
    Isabelle

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

These large enclosures can be tricky and I find them hard to visualize. Please send a scan of the print page so that I can see the actual layout.

Thanks!

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Sure...

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I apologize, but I must ask you to send this again. The image that's here is very small, blurred and impossible for me to read. These large enclosures can be complicated and I'm glad to help figure this one out, but I do need to be able to see it accurately.

Please send the complete print page so I can get an idea of the context and the purpose served by the enclosures. Please adjust your scanner settings so that the image is clear and not blurred.

Thanks!

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hello,

I hope this file is better.
    I'm so sorry for the low quality of the document but I'm afraid that's what I have to work with, and I've tried my best to improve the resolution of the scanned copy.
    Thank you
    Isabelle

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

MUCH better. Thank you so much for taking the extra time and trouble. I can see this is a complicated page without a quick answer. I ask for your patience while I analyze this. I will proably also be asking others for opinions on this as well, so that we can provide you with the best answer we can.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have a question--I've asked the NBA Foreign Language Braille Committee and while I wait for their responses I'll ask you too!

Do you know (or can you find out) if these large enclosures are saying that each word on the left could begin any sentence on the right and that each sentence on the right could begin with any of the words on the left?

I THINK that's the case here, but I'd like to know what other think too. I'd also love to get the thoughts of any other readers of this post. Readers--please feel free to download this image and post your response.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Yes you are right. Each of the 5 words on the left can begin any of the sentences on the right. It is the reason why I was initially thinking of writing the 5 words separated by semi-colon and between parentheses, followed by a double dash, followed on the line below by the list of 4 sentences. I would explain it in a transcriber's note.

These enlarged enclosures can be very tricky and I'm glad that I've asked for your help!

Thank you very much
    Isabelle

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Isabelle,

We're almost there! Clearly this specific situation is not covered in the rule. Now that the purpose of the text is understood the next step is to design a solution that conforms as much as possible to whatever coverage IS available in the rule. I want to try out a couple of things, including your suggestion, and return with a recomendation. I'll post that later today.

Thank you so much for sending the improved image and for your patience.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Isabelle,

Thanks for your patience. I asked the Braille Formats/Textbook committee for an opinion, since this is actually a formats problem, as it turns out. Foreign language braille rules regarding large enclosures are determined by Braille Formats. There is clearly no specific rule for this, so we offer a recommendation that we feel provides clarity to the reader and gives an accurate representation of the print as much as possible.

The problem here is that these enclosures indicate that EACH of the items on one side can be joined to ANY of the items on the other. This is a pure visual representation. I recommend that we simply tell the reader what's going on here because there is no rule for it in braille.

TNThe following list of words is printed within a right-facing large enclosureTN

Quand (1-3)
    Lorsque,
    etc.

TNThe following list of phrases is printed opposite the list of words above within a left facing large enclosureTN

j’aurai lu mon courier, etc. (1-3)
    son père, etc

The braille reader now know what the sighted readers are seeing. What this MEANS is a teacher/instructional issue. The other students, who can SEE it, are probably wondering the same thing!

We hope this helps.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi again!

I've received an additional reply from a Braille Formats/Textbook committee member that has the same idea with different wording. Now you can choose!

She words her TN as follows:

TNTwo columns are shown below; the left column is a list of words printed within a right-facing enclosure, the right column is a list of phrases printed within a left-facing enclosure. TN

I like this one too!

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

It just keeps coming! Here's another great suggestion from the Foreign Language Braille Committee. I notice that all the suggestions are different from each other, but they all refer back to the Formats rule about large enclosures. I think this showsn that while there may not always be a specific rule about the print situation, the best way to proceed is to USE the rules to create good solutions.

This latest solution comes with its own TN. It uses separate lists modeled on the procedures for large enclosures.

--Joanna

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.