equal signs on the right side

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science equal signs on the right side

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    braillebud
    Participant

I'm confused (again). I attached the image of my issue. The heading is cell-5, the following sentence is 3-1, the displayed math will be 3-5. The whole anchor/link concept seems like it won't work here. Can I transcribe it as shown with the equal signs on the right with nothing following them in the two middle lines (except the comments)?

Laurie

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    braillebud
    Participant

I added the simbraille in the attachment.

Laurie

Attachments:
    Lindy Walton

At first glance, this looks like it might require "special margins" according to NC Sec.189.b because the equals signs are vertically aligned in print. But point iii in that section says this: "No sign of comparison, except possibly the first one, may be preceded by any expression on its left." So I took a closer look.

There is something strange about this example. It is actually showing that each step equals cos<theta>, but cos<theta> is not printed after the middle two steps. Your transcription will just fine if you simply insert a general omission symbol after each of those equals signs. Like this:

?COS .?/SIN .?#*?SIN .?/1# .K = _:

and

?COS .?/SIN .?#*?SIN .?/1# .K = _:

I wonder if there are some things missing from the image. Surely the second step ("Simplify by canceling common sine factors.") should have cancellation slashes through each sin<theta>. Could it be printed in a different color that is missing from your source? This would lead me to think that two missing cos<theta>s were also printed in a different color. Of course, you cannot add those items if they don't appear in your copy, but if you find other oddities in this assignment, you might want to investigate the source.

Lindy

braillebud
    Participant

Hi Lindy,

I have the hard copy print, so there's nothing missing. You're right, they should have included the cancellation marks in print.

I like your solution! That works for me.

Thanks!

Laurie

braillebud
    Participant

Well, I'm back. 🙂 I'm attaching another example. Example D is the same as the previous sample I sent, so it will be the same formatting. However, Example E is just the opposite. At first glance, it looks like special margins are required, but the last line prohibits that. In that case, I will use 3-5 margins for the displayed math here too. Now I'm concerned about consistency so am wondering if I can and should include the general omission symbol to the left of the equal signs for the 4 middle lines of math. It feels strange to do that, but these are all examples of the same type of calculations.

I included the paragraph that explains what is being demonstrated. I think they don't repeat the missing side because they are mimicking what one would do if they were calculating this on paper.

Laurie

Attachments:
    Lindy Walton

Example E qualifies as linked expressions using special margins. The last line on the page you sent is a new entry, not as part of the special linked format. The attached BRF file shows how I would transcribe this one. (I assume there is more on the next page, since the verification has not been shown at that point.) Let me know what you think!
    Lindy

Attachments:
    braillebud
    Participant

I think that makes sense (from a braille formatting perspective). The math, for me, not so much. 😉 That is the end of Example E. I attached more of the page to show what's next.

Thank you again!

Laurie

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.