Figured Bass

Home Forums Music Braille Figured Bass

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Robert Dietrich
    Participant

Hello Kathleen:

I am transcribing a section of Figured Bass and I'm not sure how to handle the horizontal lines in either case. I attempted both transcriptions (which are attached) but I'm not sure if they are transcribed correctly. Could you please offer suggestions for correction if they are wrong?

Thanks,

Robert

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi Robert!

This is indeed a tricky situation. We actually don't need to braille the horizontal lines in either case, as the figures connected by the lines are associated with different notes. They aren't lines of continuation (for which we use the dot 1s) nor are the figures one either side of the line associated with the same note (for which we would use the hyphen).

In both examples, the print horizontal line is just showing that the 4 resolves down to the sharp 3rd. It's not a line of continuation. So remove the two dot 1s and just keep the second numeric indicator.

In the second example - assuming it's the "answer" to the first one - the same holds. The horizontal line just shows the resolution. Remove the hyphen and just use a second numeric indicator and place the 3 directly below the 2nd oct E.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.