Fill-in blank in table

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Fill-in blank in table

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tung
    Participant

Hello, I am transcribing a Math book in UEB codes. There are some tables in UEB codes and others are within the Nemeth switches. My questions: How blank fill-in spaces are transcribed? I am thinking using the full cell in the Nemeth section and a series of dot 5 in the UEB section. But I am not so sure. Please help.

kdejute

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking how to represent blanks within tables when those blanks are meant to be filled in.

According to Braille Formats, Partially Filled-In Tables (section 11.9) should be transcribed with a dash for each blank cell that is meant to be filled-in. If your table with a blank that is meant to be filled-in is transcribed in UEB, use the UEB dash (6, 36); if your table with a blank that is meant to be filled-in is transcribed in Nemeth, use the dash appropriate to the Nemeth Code (36, 36).

If your table is transcribed in a listed format, follow #11 under Formatting in the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts. That is, use the double dash (36, 36, 36, 36) for blank entries that are to be filled in.

Braille Formats (section 11.6.5) says that a series of dot 5s should be used "when the column entries are empty and are not meant to be filled in by the reader."

Tung
    Participant

Thank you very much.

Tung
    Participant

Hello, Kdejute (I hope this is the right way you want to address you)I followed your advise on transcribing the fill-in space in the table. Then I encountered this instruction from the latest Braille conference by Dorothy Worthington title Mathematics and Science Braille Nemeth in UEB dated October 2016 (in St. Louis, Missouri).

On page 46: Under Nemeth Format toward the end of the bullet list one of the Nemeth code format are:

Blank table entries to be filled in

My question is: Does this mean that the fill-in in the table always to be dots 36 36 regardless whether or not the table is in the Nemeth or UEB codes sections.

Please help me to clarify this matter. Thank you very much.

kdejute

No, the list to which you refer includes the listing "blank table entries to be filled in," because there are Nemeth-specific rules for some instances of such things.

To answer your broader question:

If a table is done in UEB, then 2016 Formats, which BANA has approved and which will be released soon, says to use a series of dot 5s for blank cells within a table (and explain the use of these in a transcriber's note).

If a table is transcribed in Nemeth Code:

1) If there is an actual blank space, you would use the general omission symbol.

2) If there is a dash or a shape indicating something to be filled in, use that dash or shape as Nemeth requires.

--Kyle (with Dorothy Worthington's helpful input)

If you would like to discuss this further, please include an example of the print table(s).

Tung
    Participant

Thank you very much. I will include an example if I have trouble with this kind of problem next time.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.