Foreign Language glossary – subentries

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Foreign Language glossary – subentries

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christina Conroy
    Participant

Hi,

I am working on a German-English glossary and have a question regarding how to understand 21.9.2 f   in Formats.

I have the following entry:

aufpassen: Pass auf!  Watch out!, 6; Passt auf!  Pay attention!, p. 8

Questions regarding this.

1. Let's assume that the margin on this braille page is cell 1. Then I believe that 21.9.2 f indicates that "aufpassen" would go in cell 1, followed by a semicolon, then "Pass auf!" would go on the next line, starting in cell 1. That would be followed by a colon, and then "Watch out!" would go on the next line starting in cell 3. So that we would have a total of 3 lines for that part.
    2. After this, "Passt auf!" would then go in cell 3(?) on the next line (the 4th line in this example), followed by a colon and followed by "Pay attention!" on the same line.

Another question about another situation and 21.9.2 e.

aussehen  to look like, to appear; der Rock sieht... aus.  The skirt looks..., 5

Let's say that the margin for entry words on the page where "aussehen" appears is cell 5. Then if the subentry, "der Rock..." were to appear on that page, it would start in cell 7. But what if "der Rock..." has to move to the next braille page, and that braille page has as its margin for subentries cell 9?  Would "der Rock..." begin in cell 7 (the margin from the entry word of which it's a part), or cell 9 (the margin for subentries on the next page)?

Thanks!

claurent

If I understand you correctly:

aufpassen; would go in cell 1 (substitute a semicolon for a colon)

Pass auf!: Watch out!, 6 would go on the next line in cell 3 separated by a colon

Passt auf!: Pay attention!, p. 8 would go on the next line in cell 3, separated by a colon

All the runovers would be in cell 5

As to your other question, this gets so confusing!  I would suggest moving 'aussehen  to look like, to appear' to the next braille page so that its subentry is in the correct place for this entry word.  It does leave some extra blank space at the bottom of a braille page, but it makes it clearer for the reader.

As information:  BANA is working on wording to clarify all of this in Formats - as well as putting together a guideline that is a separate document regarding FL.  Stay tuned for that as I hope it will "fix" a lot of your questions relating to these sections.

Cindi

Christina Conroy
    Participant

Great! Thanks so much!

Just to make sure I'm clear about the first part, I should not follow the direction that says, "Place the subentry
    word [Pass auf!] on the following braille line at the established margin," but instead should indent it 2 cells. Then the translation is also 2 cells indented from the established margin (per the rule).

I think moving the main entry to the next page is a good idea as well in general. Would you recommend the same thing if it's a very long set of subentries such that there is a significant portion of a page left blank? Some of the words like "gern: to like" has a very long set of subentries, and could potentially leave more than half a page blank.

Thanks so much!

claurent

When BF talks about established margin it's referring to the articles that may precede an entry word.

Your entry word begins in cell 1; subentries all begin in cell 3.  The translation for the subentry follows on the same line as the subentry (separated by a colon).  21.9.2e is only used when there are article that precede an entry word.  Follow examples 21-36 and 21-37.

The changing of the margin from page to page just needs to be handled logically...and in a way that makes it clear to the reader that they are looking at entries or subentries.

Cindi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.