Foreign Language_Hindi Non-UEB Characters

Home Forums Foreign Language Foreign Language_Hindi Non-UEB Characters

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

I am a Music Braillist and transcribe a great deal of foreign language.  The following song I have included is written in the language of Hindi.  Upon review of the "Foreign Language World Braille Usage, 3rd Ed., 2013" manual, I did find a translation page for the language of Hindi, however comparing the characters of the language in the song against the character in the Foreign Language World Braille Usage manual I found that most of the characters did not exist or did not match.  When possible I prefer to retain the original language of the song, however in this instance I was not able to, because I could not find the correct non-UEB equivalents.  Do these characters need to be updated?

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Mary Mosley.
    Patrick Janson

Good Morning. Veeah,

I'm happy to look into this. I myself am a music braillist, so welcome to that club, too!

Your message said, "The following song I have included..." but I don't see an attachment. Would you please be able to submit it so I can look over the modified characters?

Patrick, Chair of the FL Committee

Mary Mosley
    Participant

Please see attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

Please see attachment

Attachments:
    Patrick Janson

This reply came from FL Committee member, Anna Werner

Hi Veeah, I'm on the foreign language committee.  This is not unlike Hebrew, which we took a look at recently.  What's happening here is that when a vowel follows a consonant, a mark (a "diacritic") is added to the consonant symbol to show the vowel, instead of writing the two sounds separately.  You can see all the diacritic marks here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari#Vowel_diacritics .  This chart was also helpful to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari#Vowels .  (Wikipedia is a great resource for understanding the basics of a foreign writing system.)

The basic consonant symbols include a vowel sound, which is written as "a" or a schwa.  The second and third syllables in your song are like this; you just write the consonant symbol and the vowel is implied.  For the others, you need to identify the consonant and the diacritic in use.  The first syllable is "d" with a long i diacritic, so to braille, dots 145, 35

The pronunciation line is not a transliteration line, so you may need to ignore it.  Between Wikipedia and the page from World Braille Usage, I was able to pretty confidently identify the symbols used.  Some of the diacritics were a little unclear because of the resolution of the image, so I hope you have a better copy to zoom in on.

Anna

Attached is my interpretation of the Hindi text.

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.