Freestanding numbers

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Freestanding numbers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Lindy, it seems my post disappeared during an edit so here it is again, Fred

Please refer to the sample print page for my questions.

I'd like to call your attention to the section on "freestanding" numbers in the Guidance for Transcription Using Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts (2018). There is a good example on page 2, #3 showing single numbers.

My first question is this: <u>Can "freestanding" also include single numbers with punctuation or non-mathematical symbols</u>? I've entered the following statement on the TN page:

Freestanding numbers and numbers not used in a mathematical context are transcribed in UEB. These include section headings, numbered answer blanks within sentences and numbers adjacent to punctuation or answer blanks.

Then, there are sentences with numbered boxes for answers (see Question 2 on sample page). For clarity and easier reading I've included these numbered boxes in UEB, changing them to a numbered blank, for example, Question 2 on sample page would be rendered thusly:

,,"Q #B _% $4_/#1 _:
    ,FOSSILS F.D 9 #A.- LAY]S ( ROCK >E #B.- & W T5D TO 2 #C.- ORGANISMS T >E LIV+ TD4

I've omitted the boxes for answer choices like in Question 1.

Also, in Question 2 there are more than 1 choice for each numbered answer. I've included the following on the TN page:

Print shows more than 1 answer selection for some numbered identifiers. In braille, the same numbered identifiers with answers are listed together with a blank line between each numbered group.
    example:

,*OOSE "O OP;N = EA* BLANK SEC;N
    #A L[]
    #A HI<]

#B OLD]
    #B NEW]

#C SIMIL> TO
    #C DI6]5T F

Thanks, Fred

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lindy Walton

Hi Fred. Thank you for your questions, and for sending us to the Provisional Guidance document for answers.

Yes, "freestanding" includes numbers or letters with punctuation. The example on page 2 of the Guidance shows a UEB number 3 and a UEB letter n with a following period. It is not really necessary to include this information in a transcriber's note, unless your agency or a teacher has asked for it.

I like your solution for rendering the numbered boxes. The numbers are not showing up in your scan, but I get the idea. Regarding the answer choices, I find the terminology "blank section" confusing, but I see that is what it says in the print copy. I'm guessing this test is printed from an online or digital format, which often makes less sense on paper. (The online test-taker probably clicks on their answer choice and it probably will pop into the box in the sentence, I'm guessing.) Regardless, your task is to provide the information clearly to the student. This is really a question for the Braille Formats folks, but I would suggest moving the answer choices to follow each blank in the question, similar to Example 10-19 in Braille Formats. The answer choices are put in parentheses, and you will need to separate the choices somehow. I suggest a spaced slash. This change absolutely requires a transcriber's note. See the attached BRF file for my solution.

I see you are using a square (box) symbol for the scoring numbers. (I assume there is a little box to the left of each slash? It is not showing up in the scan image.) I suggest using UEB there as well, transcribing an underscore instead of a box.

Lindy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Thank you Lindy, this is very helpful.

Fred

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.