French liaison of sound symbol

Home Forums Foreign Language French liaison of sound symbol

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jhqbraille
    Participant

Hello Experts:

Sought: Symbol for French liaison undertie.  It used to be dots 26, 35; but I can't find it in the current code. Symbol for forward slash overlay I found 4, 16.   Then, how to apply them in context correctly.

Trying to describe, but it is challenging because I cannot make the undertie or floating letters in print. I'm posting a picture, but these examples are just a few that are unique in the pic.

Example 1

avant-hier  ( t-hi are bold. The liaison undertie (not shown here) connects from before the t through hyphen, and rests in between h and i.)

Example 2
          z
    di<b>x ho</b>mmes (x ho are bold; the undertie (not shown here) connects from before the x, through the space and to the h; there is an italic z above the space bet x and h.

Example 3

mes̸ onze animaux (s onze are bold; there is a forward slash overlay on the s) Note: The forward slash is completely over the s. It doesn't look like it here.

Any help is appreciated.

Jill

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Patrick Janson

Hi Jill,

SO SORRY for this late reply, Jill. I didn't get an email notification that this was posted. I am looking into this and I hope to have some helpful answers in the coming days.

Patrick

Jhqbraille
    Participant

Okay Thanks Patrick! Jill

Patrick Janson

Hi Jill,

Our committee talked over your email and Cindi Laurent (Vice Chair) gave these suggestions:

Use the UEB ligature symbol for the undertie - dots 45, 235 - and do a TN to explain that it is under the word in print and replaces the print hyphen if there is one.
    For the letters above the tie, I would suggest putting them in parentheses and placing them after the 2nd letter of the tie (so for quan<b>d e</b>lle you would have q u a n bold symbol d ligature bold symbol e open paren t close paren lle). It's ugly, but it's all there.  You would also need a TN to explain that the letters that appear above the tie are enclosed in parens and follow the tied letters.  I'd probably omit the bold as I think it's just showing that those sounds are tied together and the ligature does that (in my opinion). And, of course, this suggestion is completely based on the the small snippet of the book we can see.
    Tough stuff!
    Jhqbraille
    Participant

Patrick: I appreciate the post. I didn't get a notice and I didn't see it until I was about to post something else! I let the person know, but I'm sure she had to move on. Jill

Gillian Addison
    Spectator

I like the 26, 35 one better, myself. Having done quite a few French books, it's closer to the intent of the liaison symbol I learned in school. Also cleaner. I would probably have put the single letters on the line above. The question Jill posted was originally mine and that liaison keeps popping into my head. I used Patrick's suggestion but it went against the grain.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.