French math

Home Forums Foreign Language French math

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Here's a new challenge for you Joanna!
    I've attach a 2-page pdf file to which I have added red arrows and red text so that you can be clear about my question. (I'll also include a .pdf of the English version, in case that is of help.)
    On the first page, can I place the quotation mark between d' and the word that follows. Ususally de is used separated from the word, unless the word begins with a vowel. Since this is being transcribed in Nemeth, the quotation mark is the same symbol as 8. Would it be better to move the quotations mark to appear before the 'l so that the word can remain together?
    On the second page, a similar problem occurs, however in this case it is the spaced Nemeth boldface indicator that intervenes! The boldface words throughout this textbook are from the Glossary at the back of the book. In Nemeth, this phrase would be [braille]l' ,'_ axe _,' 8,largeur
    The 3-cell boldface symbols surround the word that is boldface (in print), and are separated from the word by a blank cell. Would it be better to change the l' to either le, or la depending on whether the word is masculine or feminine? Or again, as above, keep the French word intact, and move the boldface before the l'
    I sure hope that you can help me to think this through! Thanks.
    Betty

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Betty,

That IS a good one. I am researching and conferring with colleagues.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Conferring with Betty was all the help I needed to clarify the Nemeth requirements and the unusual way in which the print is presented. In French de, la, or le is a separate word spaced away from the folowing word. However, when the following word begins with a vowel, the e (or a) is dropped, an apostrophe is used in its place and and l' (or d') become part of the following word and is unspaced, as in this case of l'axe and d’échelle.

Print gives us a partially boldfaced word in l'axe and l’échelle. In Nemeth the boldface indicator is an open and close 3-cell indicator that is spaced away from the affected word. The recommendation is to space the l' away from the opening boldface indicator.

[braille]l' ,'_ axe _,'

In the case of d’«Échelle where there is an intervening open quote between the d' and the following word, the recommendation here is also to space the d' away from the following word to accommodate the open quote, which must be preceded by a space.

[braille]d' 8,=chelle

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.