Glossaries with Samples In Math

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Glossaries with Samples In Math

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

I am working on a math glossary right now, and I'm not sure if I should use the "entry word as cell-5 heading" method or the nested list method. I don't think there is anything that would count as "examples of print format" as stated in BF 21.6.5. But then section "B" says "Retain diagrams in math and science textbooks" (with no indication of what they mean by "diagrams"). I am attaching a picture of one snippet of the glossary. My instincts say that the more familiar, more usual nested list format would be easier for the student to understand - not just because it's more familiar, but also because the format itself seems more intuitive and user-friendly. It seems much easier to skim entry words in cell one than in cell 5. But I also don't want to go against the standard rules.

Based on the snippets I included, which glossary "style" would be more in line with the rules as stated in Braille Formats? And if specific portions of the picture result in a changed decision, which portions and why?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

Also, if this is a cell-5 style heading system, where should I put the pronunciation or noun/verb identifier? At the start of the paragraph with the definition?

claurent

This is indeed a glossary with samples and should be transcribed according to the rules of Section 21.6.5 of Braille Formats.  Entry words will be in cell 5. The entry word includes the pronunciation. If you prefer, the Spanish entry word could be a separate cell 5 heading - but it could also just continue after the pronunciation of the English entry word.  Personally, I would then make the definitions blocked paragraphs with Example as a cell 7 heading and the diagrams or equations following that.  Another option would be to make the definitions 1-5 with the Examples 3-5 (and then the diagrams or displayed equations in the appropriate formats).

Cindi

Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

When using the 1-5, 3-5 method, can an entry be split across braille pages? Example 1: the definition in 1-5 format starts on page 5, line 23, and ends on page 6 line 1 (no running head). Example 2: the definition ends on page 14 line 24, and the example starts on page 9 line 1.

Attachments:
    claurent

Yes, an entry can be split across braille pages (both of your examples are ok).  Don't forget that a glossary needs guide words (which I think I see, but want to be sure!)

Cindi

Working on Nemeth within UEB book. The index has long guide words that are enclosed in Nemeth indicators. I can't fit opening and closing Nemeth indicators in guide words without deleting some words completely. What should I do?

claurent

Can you send a scan of one of the pages? It's easier to answer when I can see what you are specifically talking about.

Cindi

Index guide words need to be in Nemeth.

Attachments:
    claurent

I've checked with a couple of people who work on the BANA math and chemistry committees.  We all agree this is a very sticky issue!  Here is one suggestion for guide text - recognizing that we don't know where your page will split:

_% .a-amino-#3 _:,-,alprazolam

You will have to significantly shorten the words to be used as guide text - and you will have to get very creative I think.  If you want to let me know exactly which words are the guide text, I can offer some suggestions that are more specific.  For instance, here are a couple of shortened options:

_% .a1-agon _:,-

_% .a1-antag _:,-

Cindi

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by claurent.
    • This reply was modified 3 years ago by claurent.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.