Glossary entry words catigorized by type face

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Glossary entry words catigorized by type face

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

We have a question about this Glossary we are doing. below is an exact recreation of what we are seeing. The rules say to omit emphasis indicators in entry words but his seems unavoidable.

Is it acceptable to add the emphasis indicator in this situation and if not what would you recommend?

Essential Question vocabulary appears in [color=#0066ff]blue type[/color]. High-Utility Academic Vocabulary is [color=#0066ff][u]underlined[/u][/color].

anonymity (an uh NIHM uh tee) n. the condition of being unknown
    [color=#0066ff][u]anticipate[/u][/color] (an THIS uh payt) v. prepare for or signal something
    [color=#0066ff]anxiety[/color] (ang ZY uh tee) n. state of being uneasy, apprehensive, or worried about what may happen.
    edited by Lennie M on 6/14/2013

joannavenneri
    Participant

Yes, in this case follow the print for the typeface and use blue and underlining as in print. This is because the text specifically refers to these fonts attributes and gives a reason as well. However, text talks about blue type and underlined but your sample shows a word BOTH blue and underlined. What do you have there? Do not use both font attributes in the same word if at all possible. If you have blue words without underlining, just show those as blue. If all the underlined words are also blue, just show them as underlined and skip the blue. The text does NOT refer to words that are BOTH underlined and blue. If the boldface is not mentioned in the text, follow that guidelines that says to ignore it and ignore it. If the blue underlined words are significant and ALL of underlined words are also blue, do not show the blue, but write a TN that says all the underlined words are also blue.

If SOME underlined text is not also blue in print, let me know and please send a print example that shows ALL these characteristics as they appear in print.

--Joanna

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

All of the blue words are also underlined with the exception of 1 word. This word is black and underlined but it seems this was a print error. The reason we know this is due to the fact that the Spanish glossary shows it's equivalent word underlined and in blue. So in summary, yes and no.

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

I'm sorry to dwell on this, but there is still confusion. You stated that ALL of the blue words are underlined (with the one exception). But in your example, anxiety is blue, but not underlined.

It makes a difference. The point here is that we want to avoid using the two font attributes in a word because it creates a lot of clutter to read through. It would help a LOT if all the blue words are underlined, but what about "anxiety."? It is blue, but not underlined. Please clarify.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thought about this some more. Write a TN that says all the blue words are underlined. Then just use the blue indicator for all those blue words that are also underlined. When you get to a word that is blue but NOT underlined, use the blue indicator, but precede that word with a TN that says that although the following word is blue, it is NOT underlined. At least that way, you are showing only one indicator. When you get to that black word that is also underlined, just show it as underlined. In that way, the braille reader will read exactly what the print reader sees.

Perhaps that will take care of the situation. Let us know!

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

It is no wonder that you are confused. I have too many projects crossing my desk so I am the one that is confused. The situation is there are indeed blue words that are and are not underlined through out the glossary. The rest of the words are black with no underline with exception to the misprinted word I mentioned before. At least I had that part right. Again sorry for the confusion.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.