Glossary in a Foreign Language book

Home Forums Foreign Language Glossary in a Foreign Language book

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi, I have one more scenario. I have a contractor doing a Spanish Math book. She has the same Glossary situation. With the English and then the Spanish. Since this is a book done in a Spanish Language would the same rules apply as in my previous post? Also, I want to clarify that in a Spanish book if there is a complete section such as a preface in English, it would all be contracted? If I am reading this correctly, all English TNs, TN Page and SS page--essentially anything added by the transcriber in English would be Contracted English Braille? Thanks Again!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In the foreign language book, is the glossary for each language in a separate section? I would like a couple of print pages for that too.

In the Spanish book, English in the English context, such as an introduction, such as exercise directions, such as a reading, perhaps to be translated, such as exercise items are all in contracted English. Again, when in doubt, please send print pages.

TN's are always always always always in contracted English.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi, Thank you. I will scan those pages at work in the morning and attach.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi, Attached is a copy of a page from this glossary. Thanks!

joannavenneri
    Participant

Our Contractor has asked one more question about this. On the graphics in the Glossary it has the
    Spanish word such as altura/height. I read a post in which you said that the new guidelines would take out the spaces by the slash in all languages. Should she do that at this point or follow the specs as they are written? Also, Contract the English word Height? Thanks so much.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Please see the reply in the other question. I need an image of the page, not just the text. Set your scanner to save in .jpg or .pdf

Thanks,
    Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Below is a PDF of one of the pages in the Glossary.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Since this IS a foreign language textbook, the situation is different than it would be for your other question, which involves only the translated glossary in what is a textbook in English. Furthermore, this print layout is not something I have seen before. I am going to ask others about it. In the meantime, I am considering your other question about the translated glossary in the English textbook.

Thank you for the extra effort of sending the print pages. I would not be able to answer this without them.

I appreciate your patience.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Does this Foreign Language book also have an English-Spanish glossary? You have sent me a page from Spanish-English. If there is also an English-Spanish glossary, please send a page from that one. It's important because of this unusual print layout.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi, No the Spanish/English is the only Glossary in this book. The page I sent is pretty typical of the entire Glossary. Thanks for your help on this!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks! That's all I needed. I'll get back to you on this as soon as possible.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

One last question. Is this math book, except for the translated glossary, ENTIRELY in Spanish?

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Except for one intro page at the beginning of the book, everything is in Spanish until you get to the Glossary.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Translated glossaries in this print format usually occur in non-foreign language books that are entirely in English. So we will reverse the usual procedure to corrspond with this situation in which the entire book is in Spanish.

The Spanish entry is in 1-5.
    Spanish subentry is 3-7
    English entry is 5-9
    English subentry is 7-11.
    No blank lines between any of the entries. The Spanish is entirely uncontracted with the Spanish accented letter symbols. The English is fully contracted. Guide words are Spanish only.

The drawings:
    The drawings should follow the completed Spanish entry and precede the English entry. In others words, the drawings come between each Spanish entry and its English translation. Follow whatever format is necessary for the drawings. If it fits on the same page with the entry, fine, and if not, put it on the next page. The labels for the drawings are as printed--Spanish/English, with the same usages as the entries--no contractions with accented letters in Spanish and use contractions for the English. The slash will signal the reader of the change in language.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you Joanna. We appreciate your help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.