Graphic Headings

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Graphic Headings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

I have a question concerning headings for graphics when graphic elements extend over multiple pages. It is my understanding the each graphic element that begins on a new braille page requires a repeated heading. To better understand this, I will provide a few examples for clarification.

Example 1: Print shows a map with a caption. The caption and the key can fit on the left-hand page followed by the map on the right-hand page.
    It is my understanding that a heading is used before the caption and key on the left-hand page and a repeated heading is used before the map on the right-hand page. Is this correct?

Example 2: Print shows a map with a caption. The caption cannot fit on the same page as the key because the key is too large. The caption is place first followed by the key on the left-hand page followed by the map on the right-hand page.
    It is my understanding that a heading is used before the caption. A repeated heading is used before the key on the left-hand page. And a repeated heading is used before the map on the right hand page. Is this correct?

Example 3: Print shows a map with a caption but the key for the map will extend over 2 braille pages. So the caption is placed first followed by the map on a left-hand page followed by the key on subsequent right-hand pages.
    It is my understanding that a heading is used before the caption. A repeated heading is used before the map on the left-hand page. And a repeated heading is used before the key starts on the right-hand page, but is not used on any addition key pages. Is this correct?

betty.marshall
    Participant

Please refer to 5.2 and 5.3 of Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics in order to understand the various scenarios for print and/or transcriber-assigned headings. In the examples you have listed, you haven't said whether or not there is a heading in print. If there is not a heading in print, one would not be added before the caption or key. If the caption prepares the reader for what they will encounter on the tactile, it is not necessary to assign a heading (unless this is a decision that has been made by the agency for which you are preparing tactiles). Only where the graphic extends beyond one page, does it become necessary to add a transcriber-assigned heading. This is often done to clarify which part of the graphic is being viewed when it has been necessary to split the graphic into layers or sections of information. The same is true when there is more than one key (i.e. a key for part 1 and a second key for part 2)--see page 5-29 through 5-31 of the Guidelines. The heading "European Union" has been taken from the print legend. On page 5-31 is is placed [u]after[/u] the caption.
    Note also that although Braille Formats would insert TN symbols around anything added by the transcriber, this practise is [u]not[/u] followed for headings or explanitory labels added to a tactile graphic.
    Each situation must be studied carefully and the guidelines applied based on the purpose of the graphic and how to present it clearly and concisely. There often is not only one 'right' method, so strive to find the 'best' for a particular graphic.
    Hope this helps,
    Betty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.