Graphing Calculator

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Graphing Calculator

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    smart_10357
    Participant

I am formatting a chapter for a college math student on graphing calculators. I downloaded the BANA Graphing Calculator Guidelines and I have a couple of questions.

1. Section 6.2 states that there are no spaces before or after the Y= keystroke yet in examples page 16 (print) and on page 20 (braille) a space is shown. There are no spaces shown in the example on page 10 for a Y= equation.
    2. Do I use the keystroke indicator for keystrokes not shown in boxes as are in all the examples. My document lists all keystrokes as all caps such as**Note: If you ever accidentally DELETE a column, then go to STAT, Option 5: SetUpEditor > ENTER. When you go back to STAT, your column should be restored.

Are all keystrokes transcribed within Nemeth Code Switches?

Thanks!!

Lindy Walton

James Williams has some answers and suggestions for you.

Section 6.2 of the Graphing Calculator Guidelines does say no spaces before or after the keystroke Y=, but the examples given on pages 16 and 20 are referring to actual graphing screens, not keystrokes. An example of the Y= keystroke can be found on pages 10 (print) and 11 (braille), as indicated by the post's author, and follows Section 6.2. More examples reinforcing Section 6.2 appear on pages 36 (print) and 40 (braille), pages 43 (print) and 44 (braille), and pages 56 (print) and 57 (braille).

As for keystrokes not shown in boxes, I would say to use the keystroke indicator since GCG 2.1 states "The keystroke may be shown in print text with brackets, a clear or shaded rectangular box, a clear rectangular box with rounded corners, etc." The "etc." leaves wiggle-room here. I would put a note on the TN page regarding how the keystrokes are presented in print. All keystrokes are transcribed within Nemeth switches (GCG 2.2).

In addition, I would offer a caveat to the transcriber regarding the context of the "keystroke," especially if all keystrokes and references to screens in general are fully-capped. From the example given, that last "STAT" might refer to the "STAT" screen and not necessarily a "STAT" key since the last keystroke used in the example was "ENTER." A reference to the "STAT" screen would follow GC 3 and be brailled as it would appear on the screen (double-capped and uncontracted), but not within switch indicators. Samples 1 and 9 show how to treat references to screens within surrounding text. Sample 12 specifically shows the "STAT PLOTS" menu as both a reference in surrounding text and as a screen.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have further questions.

smart_10357
    Participant

Thank you

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.