Greek letters following subscript numbers and ltrs

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Greek letters following subscript numbers and ltrs

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Katrina Ostby
    Participant

I'm trying to figure out how to properly braille a couple of discrete mathematics equations with a subscript number or letter followed by a greek letter.
    The issue is the use of a single baseline indicator, versus the need for both the baseline indicator and the multipurpose indicator, in clarifying whether a decimal point or a letter (greek letter) follows.

GRKf superscript -1 = F subscript -2 back to baseline + F subscript -1 back to baseline GRKf = -1 + GRK f

This is shown on the first line of the attached file GreekPhiAfter-1Subscript.jpg.

Should it be brailled as:
    .F^-1 .K ,F;-2"+,F;-1"[u].[/u]F .K -#1+.F

Or does it need a multipurpose indicator after the baseline indicator, as:
    .F^-1 .K ,F;-2"+,F;-1"[u]..[/u]F .K -#1+.F

Similarly, on the first and second lines of the attached file, GreekAfterSubscripts.jpg, we have:

GRKf superscript -k-1 = GRKf superscript -1 back to baseling GRKf superscript -k
    = GRKf superscript -1 back to baseline (F subscript -k-1 back to baseling + F subscript -k back to baseline GRKf)

Would this be brailled as:

.F^-K-1
    .K .F^-1".F^-K
    .K .F^-1"(,F;-K-1"+,F;-K"[u].[/u]F)

I did read Rule V, S32 and Rule XXII several times, and it just didn't click for me.

Thanks for any advice,
    Katrina

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Good day, Katrina:

For the first line of your file GreekPhiAfter-1Subscript.jpg, I would use the following braille:

[simbraille].f^-1 .k ,f;-2"+,f;-1".f .k -#1+.f[/simbraille]

which is the same as your first suggestion.
    The portion you indicated with underlining does not require a multipurpose indicator after the baseline indicator. (In your second line of simbraille, did you mean for the first underlined braille cell to be a dot 5, which is the multipurpose indicator?)

I believe that the simbraille you suggest for the first two lines of GreekAfterSubscripts.jpg is correct.

I'm not sure that Rule V, section 32 is relevant to this issue, because it deals with typeforms, and this issue deals with the Greek alphabet.

I would look to Nemeth Rule XIII for guidance on superscripts and subscripts and to Nemeth Rule IV for guidance on Greek (and other language) alphabets.

Please do let me know if I did not completely answer your multi-part question or if you need more information.

Thank you for your time,
    Kyle DeJute

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.