grids

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am a part-time volunteer transcriber (Nemeth certified). In November of 2006 I attended the workshop on Formatting and Graphic Challenges in Modern Algebra Text. When transcribing grids I try to follow the examples as closely as possible. However, I have encountered a wide variety of print grids, and conflicting recommendations from other transcribers. I want to be sure students can easily read my grids, and I want them grids to be consistent with those in other texts and tests. Thank you for your assistance

Are there standards for the following:
    1. arrowheads on the axes,
    2. how many numbers should be brailled on the axes,
    3. alignment of the labels,
    4. which quadrants must be shown,
    5. which lines should have the greatest height, etc.?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

There are standards for all of the things you mentioned in your question about graphs. The Tactile Graphics Guidelines have recently been adopted by BANA. I will ask our Graphics Committee chair to respond to your questions.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have attached a document containing answers and examples concerning your questions. It will be [u]wonderful[/u] to have the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics finally published!! This will give you a "sneak preview" of what to expect.

Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Betty,
    Thank you for your help, but I still need some clarification. I was wondering if there are some tactile requirements regardless of the print grid. As to arrowheads, do I need arrowheads in all directions? With regard to the quantity and position of labels, can I omit all but one number in each direction? If so, where should that number be placed? Some of my print grids don't have any labels, what is the minimum I need? If the print origin is labeled with a 0, do I need to include that in braille? Can a label be placed on either side of the axis? If a function line only appears in one quadrant, should I exclude the other three quadrants? If a label interfers with a function line, should I split the line, or omit the label?

When will the Tactile Graphics Guidelines that were recently adopted by BANA be available to members?

Barbara

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Sorry Betty, after rereading your attachment, I see you answered the issue of quadrants. Your grid is very helpful. Thank you. But there is always another question - if the X and Y labels do not appear in print, should they be brailled?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

As much as possible, I try to follow print. Why would you add labels (x-axis, y-axis) that are not in print? Nor do I understand why you would want to omit all but one number in each direction. If, on the other hand, you have only a grid with no labels whatsoever, no axes, no plotted points, just an empty grid, I would probably not create a tactile graphic of it. Be careful of the print origin label -- sometimes it it the number zero, other times it is the letter O -- follow print. Unless there is plotted material that covers where the zero (or O)would be placed, I would include the label. Generally, when four quadrants are shown, the labels for the y-axis are placed to the left of the axis line, and the labels for the x-axis are placed below the axis line. Only when necessary would I move them to the other side of the line, and in that case I would move all the numbers for that quadrant. An example would be a shaded figure (triangle) with all endpoints labelled and it is positioned to the bottom and right of quadrant II.
    While in print there may only be a shaded figure in one of the quadrants, but the reader is asked to rotate or slide, etc. the figure, I would probably keep the other quadrants in the tactile graphic. That way, when I transcribe the answer section at the back of the book, I can use the same graphic and add the additional position of the figure. I would not break a graphed line in order to add a label (even though they are sometimes broken in print.

I hope this information answers your questions. I do not know when the "Guidelines" will be available for sale. They include an additional volume of 60 tactiles in various media that would take some time to produce, collate, and bind for mass distribution. I'm sure that announcements will be made in this regard.

Betty

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.