Help with 3D pictures for first grader

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Help with 3D pictures for first grader

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susan Baker
    Participant

Hello,
    Please look at the attachment. I am not sure how to present these 3D objects tactually for a first grader. I advised the teacher that I felt that actual objects of these shapes would be meaningful for the student, and that TG guidelines advise against tactile graphics for 3D pictures for early grades. There are many pages of these types of 3D objects in the workbook. The teacher stated that the actual objects would not be used in testing, so she would like to have the shapes presented in braille tactually. Is there any suggestions you might have? Thank you!
    Susan

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

(Reply posted on behalf of Betty Marshall)

It seems to me that the teacher has placed you in a very difficult position. You want to do what is best for the student, and you are trying to follow the Guidelines (which outline the best practices according to other tactile graphics experts), but if you are working with the teacher and the material is being used by only that student, you will probably have to comply with the teacher.

If the student gets used to seeing the images in conjunction with the actual shapes during the school year, they may be able to handle the test material, but this is a very difficult concept to grasp!! You could check with the teacher to see whether she will allow you to show a top (or bottom) view as well as a side view for each object. Again though, the student has to work with the actual shapes in order to learn how to put the images together mentally in order to determine the shape.

I have transcribed several provincial tests (equivalent to State exams), and they have always stated that classroom manipulatives are allowed to be used.
    Sorry that I cannot be of more help. I have also checked with the chair of BANA's test committee to see if she can offer any further comments/suggestions.

Betty

Susan Baker
    Participant

Thank you very much! Your response was helpful to me, Betty. Please keep me posted if BANA's test committee representative has any further comments.
    Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.