highlighting method for determining switches

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science highlighting method for determining switches

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shelley Mack
    Participant

Kyle,

Attached is a document I created to try to assist in teaching sighted Nemeth students to get a better feel for making code switch decisions. There are verbal explanations that would accompany this. Does it look to you as if this document is accurate as far as it goes? Teaching Nemeth is easy, but working with the code switching has been painful.

Thanks again for your help,

Shelley Mack

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Shelley,

Thank you for tapping this Ask an Expert resource to ask about your training materials. Overall, your examples are correct. I have attached a DOCX file that includes slightly different  highlighting than yours as well as commentary (accessed under the Review tab in WORD).

You may consider including an example item (let's call it item #99) that is all Nemeth material and occurs following an item that ends in UEB and another item that begins with Nemeth material. In such an example item, the opening Nemeth Code indicator would best be placed following the item identifier (99.), and Nemeth mode would be left in effect through the end of item #99 and through item identifier 100. This could serve to reinforce your well-stated point that in linear math, nothing gets between an item identifier and its margin.

Thank you again for sharing your process.

–Kyle

Attachments:
    Shelley Mack
    Participant

Thank you for the comments. I removed the initial highlighting from the commas. I've added a new problem in the second example which I think makes the point you are referring to -- the flow of Nemeth from problem 5 into 6? (I'm hoping the file I'm attaching has the changes I made. It's showing an earlier time stamp no matter how many times I save...)

I am still undecided about the use of two highlighting colors. I understand your distinction, but I am concerned some of the early Nemeth learners will think the second color means some other kind of indicator, which it doesn't always mean. I might show it both ways to students next week to see how they react.

Thanks again,

Shelley

Attachments:
    kdejute

I am glad to be able to provide some input.

I think you might have neglected to remove highlighting from commas in the second set of examples (I acknowledge that this could be a file version issue).

The new example problem is exactly in line with what I suggested.

I'm not at all adamant about the two highlighting colors. I used separate colors for initial and for secondary highlighting mostly for the sake of our discussion, which has been fun.

Thank you!
    –Kyle

Shelley Mack
    Participant

I took the highlighting off the commas in the second example. I think it's set to go. I hope this will be helpful. Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks,

Shelley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.