Horizontal Curly-Bracket

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Horizontal Curly-Bracket

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

In the following example if the underline is a horizontal curly bracket, how should these be brailled?

If x2 = 36,         then x = 6 or x = -6 .
    Hypothesis   Conclusion

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Kyle, the underlines didn't show under the first line of text.

Fred

kdejute

Yes, I see why this is challenging. Can you please confirm that the attached image roughly corresponds to your print?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Hi Kyle,

Yes that is exactly what it looks like. Sorry not to post an image but was unable to copy or scan the text.

Fred

kdejute

No worries!

A tactile graphic would likely be the most reader-friendly solution. However, since that is not always possible, you could use line mode to create something like the attached (in image and braille file formats).

Thank you for the question!

–Kyle & the UEB Technical Material Committee

Attachments:
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Kyle,

Thanks for the diagram, that's basically what I had in mind but later recalled that in Nemeth there was a way to do this with braille symbols. I found where it's mentioned, p.200 of the Nemeth instruction book. Using that as a guide I came up with the following using the directly under and grouping symbols (it's in ASCII, the Braille selection in the tool bar translates it thusly). The word Hypothesis is in gr.1 following the number sign in this case.

,IF X;9#B "7 #CF.5<,HYPOTHESIS_>>1

(I've saved the file as .b2k and .jpg and attached both.)

I will most likely use the diagram as you first showed, but want to have an alternative method for some proofreaders that for some reason, as I recently experienced, don't like them and I have no way of making graphics.

Thanks for your help, Fred

Attachments:
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Well, I see that when posted the ASCII turns to braille, no need for some attachments. Good to know.

Fred

Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Me again Kyle,

Just saw an error in my example. Using the curly brackets would replace grouping signs. Here is the correct sample.

,IF X;9#B "7 #CF.5_<,HYPOTHESIS_>1

Fred

kdejute

Fred,

It is difficult. If we do go down the rabbit hole of designing a non-spatial transcription of the printed horizontal curly brace, then I suspect we must make it very clear what the printed braces are "embracing." That would be "x-squared equals thirty-six" and "x equals six or x equals minus six" In addition, it is probably not best practice to insert an opening curly brace in braille when only the closing curly brace is shown in print.

Thus, I think the following is what we would have to do:

,IF
    ;;<X9#B "7 #CF>.5<;',HYPO!SIS_>1 !N
    ;<X "7 #F OR ;X "7 "-#F>.5<;',3CLU.N_>

where braille grouping indicators enclose the "embraced" material and a directly below indicator precedes the "pointed to" material, which is enclosed with an opening braille grouping indicator and a closing curly brace.

Whew. I prefer the spatial approach. What do you think?

–Kyle

Corrected versions of all my examples are attached.

Attachments:
    Fred Van Ackeren
    Participant

Kyle,

I agree that the spatial is the way to go. Using just braille symbols still doesn't tell the reader that the curly bracket is horizontal, just that it's below the equation, and adding additional symbols would be confusing. I've inserted the spatial in the transcription and it looks good. Thanks for you help.

Fred

kdejute

Beautiful. Also, many kudos to you for exploring all options!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.