Hyphen in string fingering

Home Forums Music Braille Hyphen in string fingering

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anna

I have some string music with fingerings like "-1".  Looking back at previous forum posts, I found one where these were identified as low fingerings, and one where they were identified as shifts.  How do I know which is which?  I have instances where there is a single fingering, like "-1", and I have others with e.g. "1" above the note and "(-4)" below the note.

And what does an x in a fingering, e.g. "x4" mean?  Higher/lower?

Kathleen

In cases like these, I alway consult a string player, since I am not one! If you'd like to send me a pdf of the examples, I can run them by my colleagues and get some answers for you!

Kathleen

Kathleen

According to my cellist colleagues, these are shifts (they all say it's unusual notation, but I've seen it a lot in early cello and violin music).

The fingerings in parentheses below the music are advanced alternate fingering. You'll have to do in-accords for these. Include a TN about that, and then you can also omit the parentheses, including that info in the TN.

The x with the 4 is an extension. The finger stretches a whole step instead of a half step. I've always put the X as a word-sign expression before the note and then include the usual 4th finger after the note. Also include this info in a TN.

hope that helps!

Kathleen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.