Hyphenated compounds

Home Forums English Braille American Edition Hyphenated compounds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Can a hyphenated compound word be divided between pages. I have enough room on the last line of the page for the first part of the word and the hyphen.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for the question.
    On page 12-4 in the 5th Edition of The Literary Lesson Manual, it reads, "When room permits, ... hyphenated compound words ... may be didvided following the hyphen."
    I hope this helps,
    Saralyn

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks so much for your quick response. I read 12.1g(2) quite a few times and it is my understanding that I should divide hyphenated compounds at the end of a line, but what is worrying me, is ..."do not divide words between pages." Is it correct then that I do not divide regular words between pages, but hyphenated compounds can be divided between pages.

Thanks so much, Cheryl

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

So Sorry. I totally missed that your question was about dividing between pages.
    The Literary Lesson Manual sect. 2.4a states " EBAE Rule I.5a says that a word 'may' be divided between pages, the Library of Congress does not recomment it."
    Also on page 12-4 of Literary Lesson Manual, in the boxed material it states, "... do not divide words between pages."
    I cannot find any specific reference to dividing hyphenated compound words between pages.
    Since hyphenated compound words are treated as single units in regards to the use of full caps and special typeface, I would assume that a single unit/word would not be divided between pages. That is just my opinion. Sorry I couldn't give you a more concrete answer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=SBorboa]So Sorry. I totally missed that your question was about dividing between pages.
    The Literary Lesson Manual sect. 2.4a states " EBAE Rule I.5a says that a word 'may' be divided between pages, the Library of Congress does not recomment it."
    Also on page 12-4 of Literary Lesson Manual, in the boxed material it states, "... do not divide words between pages."
    I cannot find any specific reference to dividing hyphenated compound words between pages.
    Since hyphenated compound words are treated as single units in regards to the use of full caps and special typeface, I would assume that a single unit/word would not be divided between pages. That is just my opinion. Sorry I couldn't give you a more concrete answer.[/quote]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks so much for your help.

How about dividing compound names, such as Haagen-Daz?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is this for a textbook or a literary book, such as a novel?
    Are you asking about dividing this between pages or braille lines?

The compound name is in a literary book that would be divided between lines on the same page. A secretary tells me we do not divide proper names in English in her secretary's book.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm not sure what a secretary's book is. In any case - The Literary Lesson Manual sect. 2.4a states " EBAE Rule I.5a says that a word 'may' be divided between pages, the Library of Congress does not recommend it." I would follow the Library of Congress recommendation and would not divide a hyphenated name between pages. Just remember that once a decision is made, do it the same way throughout the entire book.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was asking about dividing BETWEEN LINES. A proper name.

Again, I don't believe there is a specific rule in braille regarding this. It may also be helpful to keep in mind the level of the reader. Just use good judgement and stay consistent.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘English Braille American Edition’ is closed to new topics and replies.