Impact of Textbook Format Guidelines 2011

Home Forums Tactile Graphics Impact of Textbook Format Guidelines 2011

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Tactile Graphics-- Impact of the new Braille Formats Guidelines
    Do the Braille Formats 2011 Guidelines override the formatting guidelines in Unit 5 of the Tactile Graphic Guidelines?
    An example is the use or non-use of repeated headings. In the TG Guidelines (5.13.2.1) the SPECIAL SYMBOLS (cont.) heading is used. The new BF guidelines (2.5.2.b) have ended the practice of repeating these headings. Would this apply to the GRAPHICS SYMBOLS USED IN THIS VOLUME and the GRAPHIC SYMBOLS (cont.) heading?
    Another example is key listings. The TG examples show no capitalization. The BF guidelines capitalize the initial letter of the first word of explanations.

dspence

Hi Georgia Braille...

Very good questions. The BANA TG Committee has had several discussion about how the new BF Guidelines are going to impact the TG Guidelines. As you know the TG Guidelines were written with the current code in place. We knew there were changes being made in the BF Guidelines but we could not incorporate them into our guidelines until they were adopted by BANA.

My opinion would be that because BF is the base code from which many other codes spring from, the new BF Guidelines should start to be applied in TG as well. I foresee in the future (although BANA has not requested it yet) that the TG Guidelines will be updated to be compatible with the new BF changes. This is my opinion!!!

As you learn more about the new BF changes, I would take the opportunity to incorporate these changes into the TG Guidelines as they apply. The intent of the TG authors was that the TG Guidelines support formatting decisions in BF.

Diane

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.