Interim Manual for Foreign Language

Home Forums Foreign Language Interim Manual for Foreign Language

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sjs1978
    Participant

Hi,

I am a certified braillist working in a school system in Georgia. My student is starting Spanish I in high school and I feel I need to get more material to assist me in transcribing his work. Is the Interim Manual for Foreign Language that is now available still recommended? Is there a newer version that will be coming out soon? I only ask this because I am currently using the new version of Braille Formats, so I know that a lot of the publications are being updated. Since the manual costs $48, I don't want to buy it if a newer version is coming out soon.

Thanks for your help.

joannavenneri
    Participant

Hi Susan,

As a Regular member of NBA, the cost for the Interim Manual is $32. If you're getting the price of $48 off of the website store, it's because the member price will only show if a member is logged in and looking at the item. Additionally, the member discount on items are posted at the end of the transaction when checking out.

Also note, the Ask an Expert log in and password are different and independent of the store. If you are having trouble logging in to the store, or require assistance with logging in, feel free to contact the office directly and I'd be happy to help.

I realize that may not answer your question about a newer version coming out, and I will let a forum admin field that question. As always, thanks for your support!

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Susan,

It is true that the Interim Manual will soon be replaced with BANA Foreign Language Guidelines. That puts us in a rather awkward spot for the moment. The final BANA document is currently in the final editing process and I have to tell you that the editor is me! After is it complete, it goes to BANA Publications, where it will be finalized and undergo a final review process.

You are doing exactly the right thing by using the new Braille Formats. Use that in conjunction with the present Interim Manual, which is available to you for the member price. It is still highly useful and should be used for issues unique to foreign language. You will find that most of the formatting in it refers you to the current version of Braille Formats--and that means use the new one. The actual symbols for accented letters will not be changing, so the Interim Manual is still absolutely valid for that and will remain so. The only real changes are in formatting. If you get to a formatting situation that you feel is not adquately handled in the Interim Manual and unclear or also not adequate in Braille Formats, please post that problem at this forum and we will be glad to offer a solution. There are some things that are simply not handled at all in the Interim Manual that will be in the new BANA Foreign Language Guidelines. I am authorized to advise of anything applicable in the new Foreign Language Guidelines. It's just that the print document itself is not yet ready for distribution.

--Joanna

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.