Isotope

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

In Chemical Code the isotope C-14 would be done without the letter sign or the number sign.

What about the isotope carbon-14? Is that also done without a number sign in Chemical Code?
    Thank you.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

An answer is given after next note.
    edited by Lindy on 4/2/2013

Lindy Walton

Hello Lindy,
    I only have information from a question that was answered in the NBA forum.
    The information which I pasted below states not to use the NI after the hyphen in chemical isotopes.

This question was asked March 25, 2009.

Subject: ELI and NI in chemical isotopes

Question: When brailling isotopes in chemistry such as U-235, Ba-142, Kr-91, etc., are the ELI and NI used?
    Does it make a difference if the text is narrative or showing a reaction equation?

Answer: (Dorothy asked a Chemical Code Expert and then answered)
    Here is the answer I got: the Chem Code says that the symbol for an element is not an abbreviation by rule, so ... no ELI with a single element symbol and no NI with the number following the hyphen. I know it looks really weird, but that's the way it is.

Lindy Walton

Thank you for pointing out my error. After applying the Chemistry Code approach to chemical SYMBOLS (C is *not an abbreviation for carbon, it is the chemical SYMBOL for carbon), Section 11.d of the Nemeth Code is what to follow for C-14: no ELI, no NI. Section 9.f is followed for carbon-14 since carbon is a word: yes contract "ar," yes NI. Here is the path of Nemeth Code rules to follow when searching for hyphen rules:

NC §9.b. The numeric indicator must be used after a punctuation mark. However, the hyphen requires special attention (see section f below). [4 examples]

NC §9.f. The numeric indicator must be used after a hyphen when the hyphen follows a word, an abbreviation, or a mark of punctuation. However, also see §11d. [6 examples]

NC §11.d. The numeric indicator must not be used after a hyphen if the hyphen follows a numeral, a letter, or other mathematical expression. [3 examples]

I will delete my original answer so future readers are not misled.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.