Italic symbol terminated by slash

Home Forums Foreign Language Italic symbol terminated by slash

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

The exercise is adding a suffix to root words. The root word given is suav. The suffix to be added is idad.

16. suav = delicado, fino i/dad

The answer will be suavidad.

I understand that the italics symbol will be shown before the i and before dad.

Or would it be permissible to put a TN saying "A braille hyphen has been used to replace the slash in print." since this is syllable division?

Thank you so much.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for this interesting question. I really need to see this print page. Could you please scan it as a .jpg or .pdf and post it here?

Generally a TN such as you describe in this case would not be in accordance with the rules and also not necessary, IF I understand what you're asking. I really need to see the print to be sure I completely understand the situation here. I'm afraid I just don't understand suav = delicacaodo either. With the print page, I would be able to see surrounding text and get some context.

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you, Joanna.

I am attaching a page showing the suffix -i/dad. Am I correct that the italic sign has to be repeated after the slash?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for sending that print page. It's funny how things fall into place when you can actually see them even though you carefully explained.

The short answer is yes, repeat the italics after the slash. Keep the slash as printed and don't substitute a hyphen.

The long answer is that the 2007 Update says to repeat the italics when both WORDS are in italics, the italics is repeated for these WORD PARTS. In English, print emphasis for freestanding letters and word parts is ignored, and that is why the rule mentions only a WORD after the slash. However, in foreign language braille, the print emphasis for FOREIGN LANGUAGE freestanding letters and FOREIGN LANGUAGE word parts is retained.

[braille]-.;i_/.dad

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Oh dear. I have garbled a sentence. This is what happens when you type too fast. Update says to repeat the italics when both WORDS are in italics, and in foreign language braille we apply the same rule to freestanding foreign language letters and foreign language word parts. So the answer is still yes!

--Joanna

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.