italicized spanish phrases in a novel

Home Forums Foreign Language italicized spanish phrases in a novel

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Janice L. Carroll
    Participant

I have both Spanish phrases and English words italicized in an English context novel. I am trying to implement Method 2  of the Foreign Language Guidelines from BANA and use UEB accented letter and uncontracted words . Is my best bet to use a transcriber defined typeface for the Spanish italicized phrases and uncontract them?  These phrases are sometimes followed by the English meaning. There are also Spanish proper names with accented letters that are not italicized. Should I use contractions with the proper names or uncontract them as well.  I am trying to follow the  I want to be consistent with any of the Spanish.

Patrick Janson

Hi Janice,

It seems as if the publisher of the book was inconsistent in how they handled English vs. Spanish and you're left to sort it out. I spoke to a few formats experts who also know Foreign Language braille and they suggest you merely follow print. I can see you want to take special care in trying to differentiate to the braille reader which italics might be Spanish and which English, but the suggestion is to follow print.

As for your question of Spanish proper names that are not italicized, in Method 2 we are directed to uncontract FL words because the young student is learning the language. That might have to be a judgement call on your part if you real uncontracting with help in the reading of the name.

So sorry for the delayed response. Hope you stay well!

Patrick Janson

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.