Kingston and Wilhelmshaven

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Kingston and Wilhelmshaven

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi,

Would the (st) contraction be used in "Kingston", or the (sh) contraction be used in "Wilhelmshaven"? I'm guessing yes for Kingston and no for Wilhelmshaven, but I would like confirmation or correction.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Yes you can use the st contraction in Kingston and sh contraction in Wilhelmshaven.

(ICEB) Rule 10.4.1 use the strong groupsign wherever the letters it represents occur unless other rules limit its use.

Page 109-111 (ICEB)

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

What about 10.11.12, about the aspirated h? I assume "Wilhelmshaven" is not pronounced "--shaven".

Julie

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

What do you think of my question on "Wilhelmshaven"?

Julie

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

Hi,

I'm still wondering about contracting "Wilhelmshaven". I assume it's pronounced "Wil-helms-haven" or "Wil-elms-haven", which would mean the (sh) contraction would not be used. Can you confirm or explain?

Julie

JanaBrailles

Hi Julie,

Sorry for the delay. Notifications apparently are not working for me and Angela has been offline with some medical issues.

In digging a little deeper into this matter, I went and found the name Wilhelmshaven, which is a town in Germany. I found a number of listings for American pronunciation of this word, and it sounds like  vil·helmz·haa·fn. According to RUEB, 2nd Edition, 2013, ForeignLanguage, Rule 13.2.3: Use UEB contrcations in words, phrases, proper names and personal titles which are regarded as anglicised. However, do not use a contraction that would unduly distort the pronunciation or structure of a word.  This rule seems to contradict itself, so I would be inclined to use the contraction. Of course there is always, "when in doubt, don't contract."  I suppose if I was brailling this for a student, the student would understand the word either way: with the "sh" contracted or left uncontracted. Not sure if this is helpful to you or not.

Jana

Julie Sumwalt
    Participant

And apologies for *my delay! Thank you for the answer. At least I know I'm not the only one who's confused!

Julie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.