labeling numbers on cartesian grid

Home Forums Tactile Graphics labeling numbers on cartesian grid

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Please clarify whether the numbers in the upper right quadrant of a cartesian grid should be brailled with a number indicator. Example is attached.

Thanks!

Marie Amerson

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

According to the draft copy of Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics, it is not necessary to use the numeric indicator on the values for the x- and y-axis of a Cartesian graph. Any other labels within the quadrant would use (or not use) the numeric indicator according to the braille code being used.
    Betty

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thanks for the prompt reply to our question. When I shared the answer, I learned that my reference to this as a cartesian grid may have swayed the answer a bit. I should have noted it as a grid or graph - we're not sure which because the x and y labels are throwing us off.

Please look closely at the sample and offer an opinion on whether it is, in fact, a grid or a graph, and offer an answer based on that. The sample attached to the original message is a bit fuzzy, but the main point to note is that each axis begins at 0 and ends with an arrow labeled with either x or y.

Thanks so much and know that we look forward to your response.

Marie

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

A Cartesian graph is one which shows numerical relationships by drawing points, lines, curves, or geometric shapes on the Cartesian plane. The Cartesian plane consists of two or more axes joined at a single point called the origin and possibly a grid to help index points on the graph. Numeric indicators should not precede the numbers on the x- and y-axis lines regardless of whether the text is transcribed in literary or Nemeth (mathematics and science) code.
    Since the reader is going to graph the equation on this grid (and it seems to fit the definition above), I would not use the numberic indicator on the values shown along the x- and y-axis. If the reader was going to use it to create a scatter plot or a bar graph, I would use the numeric indicator. Since the Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics is still a DRAFT document, and has not yet been approved by BANA, it would not be incorrect (at this point in time) to use the numeric indicator.

Betty

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.