Labels, Edited Copy, Symbols and Math

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Labels, Edited Copy, Symbols and Math

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mary Mosley
    Participant

Good Morning
    Please see attached file

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

I'm conferring on this and answers and suggestions will be posted as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

--Joanna

claurent

I'm standing in for Joanna for this one...Let's see if I can handle all your questions (I'm adding my own numbers for clarity):

1. I can't find the original question regarding marginal labels. It sounds like you have that right...if you still have questions about that can you please repost it - either here or on the UEB forum?

2. In regards to items listed on the symbols page of a UEB document, for the time being, we have been noting any character that may be new or unfamiliar to our customer base, including but
    not limited to punctuation and indicators that have changed configurations and/or use, along with those that are currently listed based on EBAE and BF guidelines. Is this necessary or
    should we just follow the general guidelines of unfamiliar or rarely used characters?

ANSWER: I don't know if it's necessary, but it's probably helpful for the reader to list symbols that are unfamiliar to them. There will be a list of what symbols will be required on the Special Symbols page in the updated Formats book.

3. In the UEB sample documents listed below there is a note similar to “The Following Unified English Braille symbols are used in the instructions. This List is in braille order and each symbol is preceded by the dot locator .=.” which accompanies the symbols lists used in the document: Is this something that should be noted in documents to aid the braille reader during the transition period from EBAE to UEB or were these notes included as a courtesy in these particular example documents?

ANSWER: In the documents listed (I did not include your original list, but they can be found on the BANA website) the symbols statement you note was included as a courtesy. It is not a required statement. Again, listing symbols that might be new to a reader may be a good idea during the transition...but symbols such as the parentheses will not be REQUIRED on the Special Symbols Page.

4. It’s our understanding that the UEB Guidelines for Technical Material has not been adopted by the United States and that Nemeth code, or the Nemeth-based chemistry code, will continue to be used in formatting actual math and technical notation when applicable as outlined in the document Provisional Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts.
    However, does this apply in a non-technical text where there is only sporadic math symbols or actual math problems like that outlined in BF §1.3?

ANSWER: Math should be done using the provisional guidelines for Nemeth and UEB. If a literary text has simple math (like "the backyard is 32 ft2 [pretend that's a superscript!]), UEB symbols may be used. If there are calculations or higher level math, Nemeth should be used - basically the same as BF 2011. UEB was adopted as a whole code (this actually includes the Guidelines for Technical Materials). Section 11 has valid guidelines for doing math. The US agreed to keep Nemeth and we've adopted the Provisional Guidelines as a a way to do that. It's been agreed that higher level math will continue to be done using Nemeth.

If I didn't get all your questions, let me know!

Cindi Laurent

claurent

I have a question to add. how do we terminate the keyed label? BF 16.9.1h states:
    “A spaced termination indicator follows the completion of the labeled passage.”
    EBAE uses dots 6,3 to terminate everything; underlining, single letter emphasis, colored typeforms, highlighting, etc.
    UEB usually adds a dot 3 to the symbol to terminate the effect of the symbol. Do we add a dot 3 to the keyed label to terminate the label, that way if there is more than 1 label we can terminate them in the order they need to be? Otherwise are we to throw a 6,3 in and let the reader figure out what label was terminated?
    EXAMPLE: [simbraille].#?ma[/simbraille] This is an example of marginal material. [simbraille].#?ma'[/simbraille]
    I know we are not supposed to create our own symbols, however, sometimes you must think of what might aid the student in understanding what is effected and where it ends (in order).
    Thank you

Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Sorry about the delay in responding. I missed the fact that you posted another question.

After going through the first review process, the idea of using the 7th transcriber-defined indicator was shot down. It was deemed that assigning a specific meaning to one of the transcriber-defined indicators was not a good idea. The ICEB code maintenance committee (the "owners" of UEB) have been asked to create a base reference indicator. In the meantime, what to do with marginal labels?

We are proposing that a key be created for the labels themselves using the UEB icon concept (dot 4, dots 1246 before letters representing the key). Then use the braille grouping indicators (dots 126, 345 from section 3.4) to surround the text that the label applies to. You will likely need grade 1 indicators preceding the braille grouping indicators. Again, this is PROPOSED and must still go through another review. Of course, the symbols must all be explained in a TN before the text.

Cindi

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.