Latin Vocabulary

Home Forums Foreign Language Latin Vocabulary

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Joanna,
    We are transcribing a Latin text, Catullus' Love and Betrayal.

Section 12 of the Foreign Language Manual makes it very clear how to do "end of book" vocabularies. It tells us to ignore all special typefaces in entries, sub-entries, translations and definitions. AND to insert a colon to separate the Latin entry (with parts of speech, gender, etc.) from the translation or definition. For many of the entries this is no problem. BUT ... there are several more complicated entries. See the third entry on my jpg attachment.

accipio [ad-, to + capio, cpaere, cepi, captus, to take], accipere, accepi, acceptus, to accept, get ,receive.

As I see it, the colon should go immediately after "acceptus" and before "to accept .... However, what do I do with those English words "to" and "to take" in the midst of all of those Latin forms of the word being defined??? Maybe they should be in italics to show that they are not part of the Latin word???

I hope you can shed some light on this issue!!

Janet

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Hi Janet,
    What a great question and thanks for attaching that print page. It's very helpful. It seems quite clear that italics is used for all the English words, including the actual translation of the entry. We can take that as a cue.

You are absolutely correct that the colon is inserted ONLY after the complete entry, in this case after "acceptus." The italics for the English is ignored and the English is contracted. The colon signals the reader that there is the language shift to English and that the entry is completed and the English translation follows. This is what Section 12 means when it says to ignore typeface in all translations.

But you have English WITHIN the entry and there, follow print. Use italics and contracted English. Italics here will signal the reader of the language shift within this entry so they know that non-italicized words continue to be in Spanish. Note also that Rule 12b (3) just below the directive to ignore typeface, says to RETAIN typeface WITHIN the entry. Such is the case here.

As noted elsewhere in the manual, the shift from one language to another is usually quite apparent visually to the print reader, but much less so to the braille reader. This is the reason for the various braille usages when the two language are in proximity.

--Joanna

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

[quote=jmburt]Joanna,

Section 12 of the Foreign Language Manual makes it very clear how to do "end of book" vocabularies. It tells us to ignore all special typefaces in entries, sub-entries, translations and definitions. AND to insert a colon to separate the Latin entry (with parts of speech, gender, etc.) from the translation or definition. For many of the entries this is no problem. BUT ... there are several more complicated entries. See the third entry on my jpg attachment.

accipio [ad-, to + capio, cpaere, cepi, captus, to take], accipere, accepi, acceptus, to accept, get ,receive.

As I see it, the colon should go immediately after "acceptus" and before "to accept .... However, what do I do with those English words "to" and "to take" in the midst of all of those Latin forms of the word being defined??? Maybe they should be in italics to show that they are not part of the Latin word???

Janet[/quote]

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

[quote=jmburt]Joanna,

Janet[/quote]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.