Letter Permutations in Nemeth

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Letter Permutations in Nemeth

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

In the new Winter Bulletin they discussed having a series of two or more letters having to be transcribed in Nemeth when transcribing a technical document. This brought up a question I have about a Precalculus book that I am currently transcribing. The section I am working on is talking about Distinguishable Permutations.

In how many ways can the letters in BANANA be written?

After some math involved in the solution, they show:

The 60 different distinguishable permutations are as follows.

AAABNN         AAANBN         AAANNB         AABANN

AABNAN         AABNNA         etc.

So do the letter permutations need to be in nemeth code, and does the original word BANANA also then need to be in nemeth code?

Thanks

Lindy Walton

What an interesting question!

My *opinion* is that the word BANANA in the sentence can be in UEB, but the permutations should be in Nemeth. Each letter will be individually capitalized in the permutations. If the UEB word contained contractions, you would not use them.

This brings up a fond memory of Dr. Nemeth's sense of humor when he suggested that the Braille Authority of North America (BANA) change its name to the Braille and Nemeth Authority of North America (BANANA).

Lindy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.