line-numbering divided or incomplete poetic lines

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook line-numbering divided or incomplete poetic lines

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Timpe
    Participant

Section 13 Poetry and Song Lyrics
    Section 15 Line-Numbered and Line-Lettered Text
    15.5 Line-Numbered Poetry]

The question I have is how is a line-numbered - divided or incomplete poetic line handled, with only the new Format Rules to go by?
    I have included a copy of the poem in question.
    Line 17 ends the first stanza but the poetic line is divided between the first and second stanza. How do I account for the second half of the poetic line in the numbering of lines of poetry? As it stands I have the indention pattern of 3-7, 1-7, and 5-7 for the start of the second stanza.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks for including the print example. It shows exactly what the situation is. It was very helpful.

Take a deep breath--2011 Formats has made a significant change here. Shared/incomplete poetic lines are no longer given any special treatment. That entire rule is dropped. It was determined that in most cases the shared poetic line is difficult or impossible to detect anyway, so such lines are treated as any other line in the poem.

Note that the indention pattern of a poem is determined by the ENTIRE poem (13.3.1) so I see 1-7, 3-7, 5-7 for your poem, assuming that there's nothing different in the rest of it, if there's more not shown here. The first line in the first standza is 3-7 and the first line in the second stanza is 5-7. All the rest are 1-7. In poems only the line numbers shown in print are brailled, so the braille reader has exactly the same information as the print reader. If that is truly a shared poetic line and if the reader wishes to explore that, the lines can be counted in braille just as the print reader would count them.

To summarize. poetic lines are now treated according to the indention pattern established for that poem even if they are preceived as shared/incomplete.

I conferred with Lynnette on this one--thanks Lynnette!

--Joanna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.