Line Plots

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sshreck
    Participant

How would you prepare a Line Plot in 2nd grade? As a tactile or with Nemeth Code Symbols for number lines?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Elementary Mathematics, Part 1 gives the following guidelines:

Because a line plot is based on a number line, it must be drawn for grades K-3.
    The values appear below the horizontal line, without the numeric indicator. The first digit of the value is aligned with the scale mark.
    Arrows are on either end of the horizontal line as in print.
    The label of the line plot is aligned with the first cell of the number line with no blank line between.
    X's are not drawn. They are represented by the full cell.

I would highly encourage anyone brailling elementary mathematics to get copies of the workshop materials "Elementary Mathematics, Part 1" and "Elementary Mathematics Part 2" from the Professional Development Conference, April 3-5, 2008, Dallas, Texas. They cover almost everything you will find in elementary math texts with examples of the braille and the tactile drawings.

sshreck
    Participant

Where did you get a copy of Elementary Mathematics Part 1 and Part 2? I looked in the workshop reprints and they do not list it?

sshreck
    Participant

It is also important to note that a transcriber's note should be inserted explaining the change from the print X'x to the use of the full cell in braille.
    If you haven't had a chance to check it out yet, the on-line version of Guidelines and Standards for Tactile Graphics has been posted on the BANA website. In the math section, Unit 6, line plots are discussed and an example is also included.

Betty

sshreck
    Participant

Betty,
    I did see the Tactile Guidelines and they show the line plot done with the braille symbols. Because this is 2nd grade am I supposed to do this as a tactile graphic?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Because a line plot is built on a number line, you need to follow the rules for number lines discussed earlier in the document. In Unit 6, 6.5.1.12 For kindergarten through grade 3, it says:

"The number line must be shown as a tactile graphic. The axis line, coordinate marker, and line segments should be raised tactile lines; only the labels should be brailled."

So yes, as Crepe Myretle also indicated, it must be [u]drawn[/u] for grades K-3. That is, the number line will have to be done as tactile lines rather than braille cells.
    Hope this clarifies things for you ...

Betty

betty.marshall
    Participant

[quote=sshreck]Where did you get a copy of Elementary Mathematics Part 1 and Part 2? I looked in the workshop reprints and they do not list it?[/quote]

Apparently they are Elementary Mathematics--K-3, 2009 and Elementary Mathematics--4-6, 2009 in the store.

betty.marshall
    Participant

Thanks for the information.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.