Lines of continuation with fingerings — viola

Home Forums Music Braille Lines of continuation with fingerings — viola

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lindy Walton

Please take a look at the little viola piece attached. I'm transcribing only the viola part. Page 74 of the Handbook for Braille Music Transcribers shows how to notate the lines of continuation with fingerings, but the example (Example 9) shows each line ending on an obvious note of the same pitch. For example, B, first finger continues until B is encountered again. I am confused about where to end the continuation lines in the French Folk Song (attached). The first 1 and 2 obviously end at the open string A in m.4, but where do I put the (6, 1) and the (6, 12)? Following the D (3rd beat of m.3) or following the A (m.4)? Likewise for all of the other terminating lines. After which note should I put the end of the line? Thank you for your help. --Lindy

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi Lindy!

The lines of continuation terminate after the last affected note. So in measure 3, the two lines would both be terminated after the D quarter note.

Measure 9, terminate after the F; likewise in measure 10. In measures 11-15 the secondary lines (the pdf is blurry and I can't read the number - is it 2?) would all terminate after the Gs. The line for 1 would also terminate after the G in measure 15.

Hope that helps!

Kathleen

Lindy Walton

Very good, yes. Thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.