Link list and general omission symbol

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Link list and general omission symbol

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tung
    Participant

Hello Kyle,

Please refer to the attachment for my questions:

1. These problems are not transcribed as link list (not display materials) or are they?
    2. All shaded boxes can be transcribed as regular box (dots 1246 246) except for the spatial parts of the problems 3 and 4 where the general omission symbol should be used per Nemeth rule.
    3. Should shaded boxes in the last part of problem 4 (after the spatial part) be transcribed using general omission symbol or shape symbol?

Thank you very much. Have a great day.

Tung

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Good day, Tung:

You are correct that none of the examples you shared is subject to the linked expression special margin rule of the Nemeth Code, because none of the examples you shared is displayed.

Yes, I would agree that you can use the "regular box" shape for the blue-shaded squares in your non-spatial problems and the general omission indicator for the blue-shaded squares in your spatial problems. This use should be explained in a transcriber's note.

In your message, you described the "regular box" shape as (dots 1246 246), but it should be (dots 1246, 256).

The last part of problem 4 in your examples is not spatial, as you said, and so technically the "regular box" shape could be used instead of the general omission indicator for the blue-shaded squares in this part. However, I would encourage you to use the same omission indicator throughout any one problem and to word your TN about what is used in braille to represent print's blue-shaded squares accordingly.

Thank you for the questions and for the examples!

–Kyle

Tung
    Participant

Thank you very much. Yes, I "misspelled" the box symbol.

Have a great day.

Tung

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.