List in paragraph form interrupted by heading and text

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook List in paragraph form interrupted by heading and text

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vidya Girish
    Participant

I have attached a portion of a book that I am transcribing for practice. I have encountered a list wherein each item in the list contains several paragraphs. The list is interrupted by heading (cell 5) which also contains several paragraphs; then the list continues. How is such text formatted.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Based solely on these few pages:  I would make the paragraph headings cell 7 headings - that would make it clear that they apply to more than one paragraph.  I would not treat the paragraphs as lists, but as 3-1 paragraphs...actually I don't see any lists here.  Just "grouped" paragraphs.  The cell 5 heading is the start of a new "section" and placing it in cell 5 works well...and allows you to continue with cell 7 headings for the next set of "grouped" paragraphs.

Cindi

Vidya Girish
    Participant

If I treat them as 'grouped' paragraphs, do I leave a blank line after each group.

I am confused about treating them as cell 7 headings because the topic in a 'cell 7 heading' is followed by a 'discussion' of that topic under a 'cell 5 heading' EG. the group of paragraphs starting on page 146 'If you ever get down, feel lonely, or become depressed:' is followed on the next page with a cell 5 heading 'WE CREATED IT--WE CAN CHANGE IT' and the discussion under it is about depression. Could you please explain your reason for treating them as cell 7 headings?

claurent

If you feel that the information under the paragraph headings is not a sub entry of the cell 5 heading, you can make them cell 5 headings.  The only way to ensure that the reader understands that more than one paragraph applies to that "paragraph heading" is to make it a heading.  Personally, I might make the WE CREATED IT... heading a centered heading and the paragraph headings cell 5 - but without seeing more of the book, that's a decision for you to make.  Making the paragraph headings a heading also requires a blank line before it - which automatically separates the material from "regular text".

That being said, there is no hard and fast rule about this and you, as the transcriber, need to format it in a way that makes the reader understand the content as presented.

I still would contend that this is not listed material as it is obviously indented paragraphs.

Cindi

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.