Long multiplication problem with letters

Home Forums Unified English Braille Technical Long multiplication problem with letters

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Goldhardt
    Spectator

Normally, we are supposed to use numeric passage mode for long multiplication. But this problem requires that I include lowercase a, b, and c - always immediately followed by another number. Any advice on how to braille this? I'm including a screenshot of my original transcription. (I have a note on the TN page saying that carried numbers in spatial problems are shown without numeric indicators. This is for 5th grade math.) Any advice or suggestions for improvements? (My proofreader told me to use numeric passage, but I don't think that would work well when combined with the letters.)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    kdejute

Taylor,

Thank you for your astute question.

What if we *could* use a numeric passage even with this multiplication problem with letters? We think you could by using grade 1 symbol indicators and a firmly worded transcriber's note. Please see attached for a possible transcription.

The transcriber's note used in our example is, "In the problem below, a grade 1 symbol indicator .=; only affects the symbol immediately after it." Another possible wording might be, "In the problem below, only a symbol that comes immediately after a grade 1 symbol indicator .=; is a letter."

• This reply was modified 2 years, 12 months ago by kdejute. Reason: added full screenshot of sample transcription
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.