longer word sign expressions

Home Forums Music Braille longer word sign expressions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christina Robertson
    Participant

Because of the bold face type and the structure of the music itself:

The words in measures 1, 12, and 13 seem to me to be important tempo changes.  The words in measures 6 and 8 seems to me to be related and are also tempo changes, though perhaps not as important?  The words in measure 11 could be construed as either a continuation of the 'un peu retenu' OR (because of bold font) an important tempo change.

My thought would be to Capitalize, remove to free line, and add period to measures 1, 12, and 13.

My thought would be to remove words of m. 8 and 11 to a free line within word sign indicators.

My thought would be to place the cedez within the measure as a single word sign.

Is this too inconsistent with the print?  Should I more consistently remove all bold faced tempo indications to a free line, indented one cell beyond the RH symbol, and add a period?

Thanks, as always!

Christina

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Kathleen

Hi Christina!

I usually make my decisions based on the meaning of the expressions rather than solely on the font and size of the print. Here are my thoughts, and I mostly agree with what you've laid out -

I can't see measure 1, so I'm not sure what the expression is (but you're more than likely correct in using it as a music heading).

M 6 Cedez – relax the tempo (in the music line)

M 8 En mesure – in time (in the music line)

M 10 un peu retenu – holding back a little (in the music line)

M 11 En elargissant – widening (in the music line)

M 12 1er mouvt – first tempo (free line, music heading, applying to the second half of the measure, of course)

M 13 Tres lointain – very distant (free line, music heading)

What do you think?

A lot of this is transcriber's choice, but this is what I think I'd do here.

Hope that helps!

Kathleen

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.