Lower Group Sign dis

Home Forums Unified English Braille Literary Lower Group Sign dis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Janice Taylor
    Participant

In the word disappointed

I believe that 10.6.2 tells me I cannot use the lower sign for dis here because it would be followed by the bold word terminator and not by a letter, a contraction, a modified letter or a ligatured letter.

Is my understanding of this rule correct?

Thank You

Janice

claurent

You can use the contraction.  See the Note to 10.6.2 at the top of page 118 of the UEB rules.  The indicators (typeforms, etc) do not change the fact that the contraction is at the beginning of the word.

Cindi

Janice Taylor
    Participant

So I am still confused by the wording of 10.6.2.  I did look at the top of page 118 and the way I read it is referencing the beginning of the word and type-forms and punctuation that may precede.  As I wrote in my example disappointed is the word I am using.  At the bottom of page 117 it talks about what can follow the lower sign and I do not see type-forms terminators listed as something allowed.  I do find in 2.6.3 at the top of page 117 that it is OK for letter or letters- sequence to be followed by type-form terminators.  Is this the rule I should reference for this lower sign situation?  FYI Braille 2000 reads the contraction as a period.

claurent

Ah - I thought you were asking this question because of the opening typeform indicator...but your issue is really with the fact that there is a typeform terminator following the dis.  And, you are right.  You cannot use the dis contraction in that case.  I'm sorry I didn't fully understand the question.  If you look at 10.6.2, the very last thing, there is an example of disturb and the dis contraction is not used.

Thank you for clarifying this and continuing to ask questions.

Cindi

Janice Taylor
    Participant

Thank You Cindi

Mandy Kay
    Participant

Hello.

I am new here and actually still doing the Lessons (I'm on lesson 17). I got confused when I saw the phrase "do not use them, meaning the be, con and dis contraction, if their letters are immediately followed by a typeform indicator...when they say indicator does that also include terminators because there is no mention of those.

In Lesson 15.1a it states:

Pg 15-3

Also, because the lower groupsigns for be, con, and dis must constitute the first syllable of a word and be followed by a letter, do not use them if their letters are immediately followed by a typeform indicator.

Dan Gergen
    Participant

Hello Mandy,

I am terribly sorry that we did not notice your question in reply to a previous conversation that was started back in May 2016. I hope it isn't too late to offer an answer at this time.

UEB 10.6.2 states, "Use the lower groupsign for "be", "con" or "dis" only at the beginning of a word and only when followed by a letter, a contraction, a modified letter or a ligatured letter." —the emphasis for "only" is mine.

An indicator is defined in UEB §2.1 Terminology as a braille sign that does not directly represent a print symbol but that indicates how subsequent braille sign(s) are to be interpreted.

For typeforms, capitalization, or grade 1, there are four indicators that would apply to a symbol (or single letter), a word (or symbols-sequence), a passage (3 or more symbols-sequences), and a terminator. The terminator, by definition, is also an indicator that stops the effect of another indicator, such as a typeform word, or a typeform passage indicator.

Again, I am sorry to have failed to answer your question earlier. Please don't hesitate to ask any question and I promise we will provide an immediate answer.

Dan Gergen

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Dan Gergen.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.