Main Items in Table of Contents

Home Forums Braille Formats/Textbook Main Items in Table of Contents

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Main items in a Table of Contents.
    Braille Formats Rule 2, Section 7.c(1)(a) states that main items are 1/3 when there are ONLY main items in the ENTIRE table of contents. There could be two interpretations: entire contents of the particular volume or entire contents of the print book.
    We are working on a volume 7 of a textbook. The table of contents for volume 7 has only main items. In volume 1 where this portion of the material is brailled, the items begin in cell 1 and runover in cell 5 because there are sub-items (in other volume sections).
    Should the content items in Volume 7 be brailled in cell 1/3 even though it was 1/5 in the first volume?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I have conferred with colleagues about this and the consensus is to carry on with what you have. In other words, this rule may be interpreted to mean the contents in the current volume. In volumes with no sub-items, use 1-3 and only in volumes where there are sub-items, use 1-5, 3-7 as you discuss. This is what most transcribers do and it makes the most sense.

This would be my own recommendation and it is, in fact, what I do in my own transcribing.

--Joanna

joannavenneri
    Participant

Thanks, as always, for your thoughtful repsonse. We are limited to resources such as NBA's Ask An Expert to ensure we are learning/teaching each other the appropriate information on textbook formatting, so your expert advice is always appreciated.

Please know those of us in Georgia appreciate you, the NBA, and this site.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.