Marginal Material in Nemeth

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Marginal Material in Nemeth

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I am just starting to transcribe a portion of a college math book for a student. I have never really dealt with much "marginal material" and want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I have scanned 2 pages that are attached in a .pdf file, which illustrate my two main questions at this time.
    FIRST PAGE (Figures)
    1 - The last line of the first paragraph ends with the words "See Figure 1." The actual illustration in the margin is followed by the label "Figure 1".
    a - Should I be using the General Reference Indicator (4, 3456) as stated in Nemeth Code, Rule VII, sec. 47, before the number 1 in the text and in the illustration label, or is this unnecessary?
    b - I have moved the "Figure 1" label in the marginal material so that it precedes the actual illustrations. Is this correct?
    c - My margins for the marginal materail are 7/5.
    2 - For Figure 2 and Figure 4.....
    a - Should the marginal illustration be inserted on the line immediately following the lines where the words "Figure 2" and "Figure 4" appear in the text, or should it be inserted at the end of the completed sentence?
    3 - Figure 4 - Marginal Note
    a - Should the margins be 7/5 for the note that accompanies the illustration for Figure 4?

SECOND PAGE (Marginal NOTE)
    1 - Marginal NOTE:
    a - Since this marginal material is not numbered and is not "related to any specific point in the text" (Formats Rule 12, Sec. 5b-1, pg. 130), I believe I should follow the Formats Rule and insert (2356, 2356) before the note, then place the marginal note after the paragraph that follows Figure 19 diagram.
    b - Should the margins for this note be cell 5 (heading) "Looking Ahead to Calculus" and 7/5 for the text portion of the note?

If I have rambled too much and made no sense, please forgive me and just give me your advice on how this should be done. Thank you so much in advance. If there is any other information you need, please let me know. Thanks again.
    Patty

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

a - Should the marginal illustration be inserted on the line immediately following the lines where the words "Figure 2" and "Figure 4" appear in the text, or should it be inserted at the end of the completed sentence?
    I would place the figures at the end of the paragraph in which they are cited. That's better than interrupting the text.

The captions for the figures (FIGURE 1, FIGURE 2, etc) would be in 7/5 as captions normally are. Tactile Graphics Guidelines propose that graphics be placed at the left margin for ease in finding them. Do not place your graphic so its left margin is indented as marginal material. No reference indicator is required for captions.

Should the margins for this note be cell 5 (heading) "Looking Ahead to Calculus" and 7/5 for the text portion of the note?

If you are going to make the decision to use cell 5 headings for a certain kind of marginal note (such as "Looking Ahead to Calculus") then just format the text following the heading as you would normally format it -- the paragraph would start in cell 3 with runovers in cell 1 and displayed items in 3/5.

If you want to treat this material as marginal material, with a general reference indicator (not a literary one) then your note will begin in 7 with runovers in 5, and the diplayed would have to be 7/9. In this event, the heading would probably have to become a paragraph heading on the same line as the following text. Be sure to look through your book to determine if there will be any comparable marginal material that could present a problem with your chosen format.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Thank you so much Dorothy for the clarification. It is just what I needed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.