Margins for notes

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Margins for notes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

According to Nemeth Advanced publications, a footnote should start 7 cells from the runover site. If we have a transcriber's note in the middle of our 5/3 directions, does our TN start 7 cells from the runover site which is 3. Making our margins for the TN 7/5.

If we have itemized material with subdivisions and a note follows the main item, do we start the note 7 cells from the runover site which is 5?

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

Would you be able to post an copy of your print? It would certainly be helpful. I am trying to understand why you would place a TN "in the middle of 5/3 diresctions". Transcriber's notes are always placed in 7/5, apart from the exception in Nemeth of 7 or fewer words, which may be embedded within the text (not on a new line).
    In your 2nd question, does the note pertain to the main item, or to the subdivision? I really need to see the print in order to determine how best to handle this.

Betty

betty.marshall
    Participant

I am sorry if my question was misleading. I have included a copy of the print page. I am not trying to put a note in the middle of the directions. It is a note that takes the place of the figure. Ex: Use the following figure to answer question 1. A note is put here that says: The following elements are found in the first column of the periodic table... I then fo on to braille the element information in list format.
    Thank you.

betty.marshall
    Participant

Thank you for posting the example for me to view. I now understand that following the instructions in 5/3 you want to insert a TN rather than create a tactile graphic, and then proceed with the itemized material. The transcriber's note would begin in cell 7 with runovers in cell 5. The format for a transcriber's note is [u]not[/u] based on the material which preceeds it. So to answer your question, no, the transcriber's note is not indented 7 cells from the previous line -- it begins [u]in[/u] cell 7.
    I hope this clarifies things for you.
    Betty

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.