Math equations that are displayed

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Math equations that are displayed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

I know the rule says that displayed expressions that are not itemized should start in cell 3 (with runovers in cell 5). I have 3 simultaneous equations in my text that are displayed and not in itemized text. They are
    x - y + 2 = 0
    4x + y - 6 = 0
    x - 2y - 4 = 0

I know I also have to line up the like terms (variables). Since this displayed expression is supposed to start in cell 3, which line would be in cell 3? Would it be the 2nd equation (4x + y - 6 = 0) that would start in cell 3? This would then cause the other 2 equations to be actually starting in cell 4 assuming I line up the X variables. Is this correct?

I had a similar question regarding spatial addition problems that are displayed but not in itemized text.
    Such as 93
    +56
    -------
    Which part of the displayed addition problem should start in cell 3? Should the leftmost part of the problem (the separation line) be what starts in cell 3? Otherwise if I started the 93 numeral in cell 3, this would cause the separation line to be in cell 1 and the problem to not be indented at all.
    Thank you for advising me.

Chris Clemens
    Keymaster

If your three equations make up a system of equations they would be aligned by like terms and the leftmost part of the system would start in cell 3. If it is not a system, but instead just a series of 3 equations, then each one would begin in cell 3.

The left most part of the displayed addition problem (the beginning cell of the separation line) would start in cell 3 if displayed to narrative material.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.