Measurement Units

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science Measurement Units

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tung
    Participant

Please help me to clear up on when to include the measurement units inside the Nemeth switching.  According to the Mathematics and Science Braille Nemeth in UEB by Dorothy Worthington presented at the St. Louis conference on October 2106 page 24. And your article Sampler Platter – Let’s snack on some dots in the NBA Bulletin Spring 2017 with all samples and conclusion your brief summary:

When next to a number that belongs in Nemeth Code, a related measurement unit is transcribed within Nemeth Code, but a container or amount that does not have a fixed definition is not.

It is very clear to me and I thought I understood this matter. Then came the newly released Lesson 4 of the Nemeth lesson (4/25/2017 revision). Under subsection  4.2 Words in Narrative Examples 4.2.4 to 4.2.6, in these examples the “pound” and “ounce”,  even though they follow decimal numbers they are not include inside the Nemeth switching. My question is:

1. Whether or not the rule has been changed with regard to this or “pound and ounce” are not considered under measurement unit.
    2. What is considered “Narrative”? Since the examples given by Ms Dorothy Worthington and a couple given by you in the said documents appear to be “narrative” as well. what are the differences?

Thank you very much.

Tung

kdejute

Tung,

That is a good question. I am looking into it, and I will let you know once I find out more.

Thank you.

–Kyle

kdejute

Tung,

I have the answer!

Although my information was correct at the time the spring Bulletin was published, it is now out-of-date.

Recent changes (which are not even published yet on BANA's website) to the Guidance for Transcription Using the Nemeth Code within UEB Contexts change how measurement units are included or excluded from Nemeth switch indicators.

So, the content of "AN INTRODUCTION TO BRAILLE MATHEMATICS, Using UEB and the Nemeth Code, Provisional Online Edition 2017" is correct and up-to-date. And the summary statement from the spring Bulletin article should be changed to:

When next to a number that belongs in Nemeth Code, a related abbreviated measurement unit is transcribed within Nemeth Code, but a container or amount that does not have a fixed definition, whether spelled out or abbreviated, is not.

in addition to examples and other content of the article being updated.

Thank you again for pointing this out!

Please watch BANA's website for the updated Guidance document to be published.

–Kyle

Tung
    Participant

Thank you very much.

Tung

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.