Meter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Melissa Klepper

I have attached a sample of a print situation where meter is being used for Iambic tetrameter and iambic pentameter.

I have reviewed Section 15 Scansion, Stress and Tone of the UEB manual, but am unsure of what symbol I would use to represent the "breve" looking symbol printed above some words and syllables? Should I use the breve? (dot 4, 346)?  Or is there another symbol I would use?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Lynda
    Spectator

(dot 4,346) is correct. You will find an example in Rules of UEB page 213 (section 15.21):

Look at the example: But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Lynda.
    Lynda
    Spectator

Oh sorry, I may have it wrong, I saw it in a different example but it wasn't used for the same purpose. I will look a bit more.

Lynda
    Spectator

Ah I found it! Formats 13.9.2

´ = >  (dot 345) Stressed syllable

˘ = ^   (dot 45) Unstressed syllable

Melissa Klepper

Brilliant!!!! Thanks so much!

Melissa Klepper

Oh, but wait. In UEB I do not see a symbol for the unstressed syllable. I only see symbols for primary stress and secondary stress. 15.2. I am back to where I was... See example 15.2.1 on page 213. This one looks more like my situation. My symbols are printed above the lines of text. I am so confused now. I have attached a sample of one way I considered doing it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    claurent

Melissa - I can tell you what the updated formats will say for this type of situation.  A breve is a breve...so you are correct that the UEB symbol for breve should be used.  In many types of material like what you have that I have seen, the other mark looks much more like a grave accent symbol.  However, I agree with you that yours appear to be slashes.  Whichever print symbol you decide it is, use that braille equivalent (either the slash or the grave accent).  What you have done is exactly what we are recommending - with one exception.  We are recommending that the symbols be placed over the first letter of the syllable rather than the first vowel as has been done in the past.  If you happen to have two small syllables, there does not need to be a space between the two types of accent/stress symbols...and if truly necessary (if the first of two syllables is only one letter) you may place the first accent/stress mark over the space or capital sign that precedes the word.

Let me know if I've not been clear enough.  Great job with what you did!

Cindi

Melissa Klepper

Thanks Cindi! I completely understand and appreciate the clarification.

Lynda
    Spectator

This way is a lot more clear than what Formats 13.9.3 currently instructs. Will the unstressed symbol be replaced with the breve?

claurent

The Formats 2011 stress/scansion symbols will not be retained in the updated Formats...as they would conflict with UEB symbols.  If the symbol in print looks like a breve, it should be transcribed using the UEB breve symbols.

Cindi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.