mixed number

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bataffet
    Participant

Nemeth section 64 defines a mixed number as "... an expression which begins with a numeral and is followed, usually in smaller type, by a simple fraction whose numerator and denominator are both numerals. ... An expression is not a mixed number if it contains any letter ..."

I have 10 followed immediately by a fraction whose numerator is square root of 2 and whose denominator is 2.

The square root sign and termination indicator are confusing me. The definition mentions the exclusion of letters, but not of other symbols.

Is this a mixed number?

TIA bt

Lindy Walton

Yes, this expression is a mixed number as the Nemeth code defines one. You can see examples of a radical in the numerator of a *simple fraction in the lesson book, page 116, example (10) in Section 83.b. Yours will use mixed number fraction indicators instead of simple fraction indicators.

bataffet
    Participant

Thanks Lindy. I had to smile at your reference to the lesson book, because I am a co-author of it. We just didn't come up with the examples we have found over the years since. Thanks again. bt

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.