more "extent of a math expression"

Home Forums Nemeth Code for Math and Science more "extent of a math expression"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    togilby
    Participant

In the two examples below, are the words "function" and "sequence" part of the math expression?

Thanks, Trumbull

1. For the function f(x) = 4x-9, ...
    2. What is the difference between a sequence t(n) and the function j(x) with the same equation?
    togilby
    Participant

and "slope" and "x-intercept" in this sentence?

A line with slope 3/2 and x-intercept (4, 0).

thanks!

kdejute

Trumbull,

None of the four words you ask about needs to be a transcribed in Nemeth Code.

--Kyle

togilby
    Participant

Thanks, Kyle.

Would you elaborate?

Why aren't the words part of the math expression? If I could make sense of the why, I could apply in the future!

Some workshop materials from the conference are contradictory.  I find (switch) triangle RST (switch) but also angle (switch) theta = pi/3 (switch). In discussion, Dorothy suggested that "angle" should have been inside the switches. It's so confusing! I must remind myself that either way probably won't influence the reader's understanding, but I'd like to get it right!

Thanks, Trumbull

kdejute

Fair enough. Your question about the "whys" is a good one.

First, "function" in "the function f(x) = 4x-9" is not part of the name of the function, so it is not part of the technical expression.
    Similarly, "sequence" in "a sequence t(n)" and "function" in "the function j(x)" are also not part of the NAME of the sequence or function.
    Third, "slope" in "a line with slope 3/2" is not part of the technical expression, because a slope does not traditionally have a "proper name" like "Triangle ABC" or "Angle G"; a slope is a value and not a singular item.
    Similarly, "x-intercept" in "x-intercept (4, 0)" is not part of a technical expression, because it does not work with the enclosed list to identify a singular item; "(4, 0)" does that by itself.

I am not ready to extrapolate universal rules from the above. But do the statements above make sense on their own, and will they help you to wade through material more comfortably?

–Kyle

togilby
    Participant

Yes, most helpful! Your explanations definitely add clarity and will be my guide as I encounter variations of these expressions, thank you! (But don't count on this being the end of this conversation, haha!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Everyone is free to read the forums, but only current NBA members can post. Become a member today. Click here to Login and return.